The analog thread.

Hopstretch

This thread made me buy a (second, had one before) denon 103.

Its here!

I played my normal "test" record (my korean record) and Im quite happy with it. Im going to run an old beat up record for a few spins to break it in :)

The little denon test-sheet says that the chanels are 0.35/0.35mv (woot)

My last 103 was 0.30/0.32mv.

I've been listening to the SL-1200 the last couple of days. Superb performance for how cheap they are. Most obvious improvement over my Music Hall is rock solid speed stability. Bill Evans- Interplay Fantasy 45 rpm vinyl is my torture LP for testing pitch issues and the Technics sails through. A VPI Aries with SDS and my Music Hall can't quite pass this test. Interestingly the other TT that can make this LP sound like heaven is the Garrard I mentioned earlier.

I'm not convinced the SL-1200 is an improvement in all areas over the MMF-5, but I am so used to the MMF-5 sound through years of use that I need to spend some more time with this DD before forming any solid opinions.

I've been listening to the SL-1200 the last couple of days. Superb performance for how cheap they are. Most obvious improvement over my Music Hall is rock solid speed stability. Bill Evans- Interplay Fantasy 45 rpm vinyl is my torture LP for testing pitch issues and the Technics sails through. A VPI Aries with SDS and my Music Hall can't quite pass this test. Interestingly the other TT that can make this LP sound like heaven is the Garrard I mentioned earlier.

I'm not convinced the SL-1200 is an improvement in all areas over the MMF-5, but I am so used to the MMF-5 sound through years of use that I need to spend some more time with this DD before forming any solid opinions.

That is good to hear. I know that I really should get into vinyl but I have been looking for probably the cheapest way to do it. I rocked 1200's in high school but as a DJ, so I was more used to beating the shit out of the 1200's with scratching, beat juggling and general mixing but have heard the 1200's are pretty decent as a music listening table. What kind of cart are you using, or what would you recommend?

Glad you're enjoying the new table, Deepak!

Speaking of speed stability and related issues, I really enjoyed reading this paper from Grand Prix Audio, whose DSP-regulated Monaco TT pretty much takes direct drive to its ultimate contemporary expression. Obviously they're tooting their own horn, but it taught me a lot about the fundamental design issues around LP playback. I also think the Monaco is very beautiful in the simplicity of its form, compared to the incredibly elaborate monster tables it takes aim at.

http://www.grandprixaudio.com/Monaco-Turntable-Whitepaper.pdf

Screenshot2010-01-02at105345AM.png

Screenshot2010-01-02at105802AM.png

Oops, offer accepted. PC-1 vs. Lyra Skala vs. Koetsu Rosewood Platinum coming soon. Need to get a Lyra Titan i into the mix, but will probably sell one of the losers before doing that.

Wow... bitter sweet feeling on getting the offer accepted? :) Been there more than once.

Would love to hear what you find out. Which cartridge is your favourite between the Koetsu and Lyra Skala right now?

I've heard the Lyra Skala against a Koetsu Rosewood Signature on an EAR Discmaster turntable using Helius Omega arms. Both arms were mounted to the table with the respective cartridges. For me and the owner, it was just no competition...he sold the Lyra Skala to another audio buddy of ours at a huge discount. The Koetsu on that table/arm had more tonality, body and just overall realness of sound. The Skala was leaner, had a tad bit more PRaT but just lost out on all other aspects. The Koetsu was in a different league actually.

But would love to hear your experience as things might be completely different on the VPI tables.