Houston Meet 10/17/09

mypasswordis

That's cool!

Your Uncle and I were comparing our K1000s. I think he liked them on the β22, and Shelly's Woo 300B amp. Her 300B didn't have enough power to drive the K1000 to good volume, but the bass was insane. I'm now officially interested in a 300B amp to contrast with my β22.

We'll see how that pans out.

Your Uncle and I were comparing our K1000s. I think he liked them on the β22, and Shelly's Woo 300B amp. Her 300B didn't have enough power to drive the K1000 to good volume, but the bass was insane. I'm now officially interested in a 300B amp to contrast with my β22.

A very good contrast indeed, as the mids should also be quite good and different from the β22. Glad you guys met. If I'd known he was coming, I'd have let you guys know beforehand.:) Maybe even attempted to fly down there and crash at his place. Yeah okay, I guess it was a good idea I didn't know.

A very good contrast indeed, as the mids should also be quite good and different from the β22. Glad you guys met. If I'd known he was coming, I'd have let you guys know beforehand.:) Maybe even attempted to fly down there and crash at his place. Yeah okay, I guess it was a good idea I didn't know.

He is a really cool guy. We definitely made him feel welcome. He may have even been a bit overwhelmed with gear choices.

We'll expect you at the next one! You'll be expected to bring a violin and play for us though. :) One of Marc's friends stopped by and did just that. It was funny because Shelly and I were talking, then both looked over to see who had the awesome speaker rig, that sounded so real on violins. :D

Because y'all are too lazy to make a thread, I made one for you.

The guy in the first pic is my uncle (I was slightly taken aback when I saw the pic but found out he was a Head-Fi'er this past summer): http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6092529-post9.html

How funny. Your uncle was a very cool and energetic guy. I was glad to meet him.

I guess I could mention some impressions from the meet but I don't know if that is appropriate here at head-case. :P

The highlight of the meet for me was the balanced B22 + JH13's (and the awesome speaker rig playing the violin solo). I convinced Jerry to send me some (he sent me 6 demo pairs and one balanced cable). Now I have to send them back though and parting is such sweet sorrow. >:(

He is a really cool guy. We definitely made him feel welcome. He may have even been a bit overwhelmed with gear choices.

We'll expect you at the next one! You'll be expected to bring a violin and play for us though. :) One of Marc's friends stopped by and did just that. It was funny because Shelly and I were talking, then both looked over to see who had the awesome speaker rig, that sounded so real on violins. :D

Sure, I'll definitely play if I make it to the next meet. I won't bring anything fancy (hint: starts with a V and ends with aume) but hopefully it'll sound decent anyway. Marc, wanna play a duet? Bach Double? Navarra? Bartok duos? Something else? :)

How funny. Your uncle was a very cool and energetic guy. I was glad to meet him.

Energetic is one way to put it.:D I don't get to see him too often since he's so far away, but he kind of makes me wish my dad were more into audio.

<pic>

This for the win! :)

Agreed, cigar boxes are classy as hell. Nice amp, too.

Like, I was, you know, there, and stuff... but, don't remember much. All horrorshow like.

Left Friday on my way to Houston, via Austin, stayed up til 2am soldering, soldered again from 8:30-10am, showed up an hour late for the meet, listened to 3 pieces of gear belonging to 3 different people for a total of 3 minutes and left an hour late at 4, zoomed home @ 85mph, and brought my wife goodies from La Madeleine.

Was then NOT stabbed in my sleep that night.

The End.

Yes, Mark FTW! The few minutes that I listened to the Raven, was sweet indeed. I am looking forward to spending more time with it in the future once it gets tweaked some more.

Cordy things can be quite useful, especially if they are the right kind. For instance, suppose you decide to be perverse and put female XLR jacks on your new amp... :P

Al, I wasn't too impressed with your balanced Bijou. I really think you should turn up the gain on it because it almost sounded as if no source was being played.

Something that I noticed on namaan's gorgeous bijou build as well at Canjam..he was running too low a gain for my tastes.

Something that I noticed on namaan's gorgeous bijou build as well at Canjam..he was running too low a gain for my tastes.

On my (balanced / dual differential) Bijou, the only thing I've ever seen past 11 (o'clock) is the K1000, and they were at about 4 o'clock. This is from a guy who runs a Raptor wide open.

I had cords out the wazoo (6 Quail, and some computer grade cords, along with my power strip)... the problem was one source to 5 amps, where one was needed to troubleshoot the Raven. My intent was for everyone to have listening impressions of the two eXStata amps (one sand, one tube), but...

Bijou was there kinda just sitting. A shame really, as it is quite nice. She deserves a better home than I can give her, as she really has served me very well - just not well enough with the hd800.

Good thing Marc took some perverse obsession with the Raven design, as the circuit designer is not helping a whole lot. And, these boards are the cheapest, crappiest ever - only because he threw them in for free (probably because he could only give them away). The lack of testpoints to bias the thing REALLY makes it fun.

Next time, damnit.

Ok, sorry for picking on you Al, it's just so fun, it is hard to resist. :P I really shouldn't talk since I haven't finished the SOHA II I started many many months ago.

I enjoyed my short time with the eXStata and HE60 (tube - didn't try the ss unfortunately) but my only experience with stats is at meets so I am not really the best person to judge.

Ok, sorry for picking on you Al, it's just so fun, it is hard to resist. :P I really shouldn't talk since I haven't finished the SOHA II I started many many months ago.

Sweetie, re-read the HC motto - remember, I brought a WORKING SOHA II and didn't even power it up either.

prettyprincess.gif