Baby O

Deadneddz

Thanks to the Craigslist ad Collin posted I got a super deal on a pair of HE60's that I couldn't pass up. Met up with the guy locally and the transaction went super smooth. It was interesting, I asked him why he wanted to sell them, and he said that he has a pair of Stax Lambdas (didn't ask what model) and that his older brother whom he got this HE60 from actually owns 3 more. So he had 4 HE60s at one point!:o When he said this I immediately wondered how many HE60s were made in the first place. Poor sap said he never heard the HE60 from any other amp other than the HEV70.

The phones came in the condition that it was described. From my inspection this pair seems to be in perfect condition sans the pads, which are replaceable. Couldn't even find a single scratch on the phone itself.

I decided to snap a couple pics before I send them in to Sennheiser tomorrow:

672ib9.jpg

fwcy8.jpg

34ozw95.jpg

14qur6.jpg

3462ce0.jpg

Other than the obvious pad deterioration, I noticed something strange in the left driver.

Here is a pic of the right driver which looks totally normal to me:

2messv7.jpg

And here is the pic of the left driver, its hard to see but you may notice a black line that curves downward, starting from the left side in the middle, you need to move back from your monitor a couple feet from where you are now to really see it:

21catfb.jpg

I'm guessing that its a piece of the o-ring that fell apart? Not exactly sure though, and I don't want to rip this thing apart. I'm was going to have Sennheiser replace the drivers anyways, but i'm really not even sure if I should or if it would be worth it, since these most likely work perfectly fine. I'm also going to ask them if it would be possible to put the HD650 headpad on them instead of the incredibly flakey HE60 one. The pads on the HE60s are a really sorry excuse for leather.:confused: Now only to somehow find better earpads?

After I get them back from Sennheiser, i'm going to have them Stax 5pin reterminated and then i'll be able to finally flip them Waddouche style listen to them.:P

Very cool Vincent! You got a great deal on those. Did you get a price list from Senn for the different parts/repairs available? I can kinda see what you're talking about in that last pic. I took a look at my pair and noticed I had some black curve inside the left driver and two inside the right. I'm guessing this is the o ring too? I'm probably going to wait until after this upcoming LA meet before I send mine in to Senn, so let us know how that goes. Best of luck with everything.

It could be the o-ring but it is at the back of the driver so you should see it though the back grill. The odds are close to 99% that they are broken though...

HDxx0 pads will not work since you have to have solid sides on the earpads to seal the baffle. That's also why the o-rings are so important. You can also ask them to do the RSA mod and reverse the drivers... :palm:

Did you get a price list from Senn for the different parts/repairs available?

I have on the headpad, and earpads. The headpad is $10.02 and the earpads are $56.23/pr. No price on the drivers yet...

HDxx0 pads will not work since you have to have solid sides on the earpads to seal the baffle.

I definately wouldn't try HD6x0 earpads. I was talking about the HD 6X0 headpad, not earpads. Im sure the cloth HD6x0 earpads would completely ruin the sound.

Sorry to hear, hope you get better quick. Now hopefully Sennheiser will allow putting the HD650 headpad on them for me, I don't see why not. As for the earpads, not too sure. These stock HE60 pads really suck. I don't want to have this mess a little while from now. If I even place them down and lift them back up, theres tons of debris left from the pads:palm:

Nice! Now you only need a BHSE to drive the beasts :)

The HE60 really needs a Blue Hawaii to wake it up. :)

Wtf? Why on earth did he do that?

He used his super engineering talent to conclude a dipole driver, which as to be 100% symmetrical to achieve the low distortion electrostatics are capable of, would somehow sound better turned the other way around. Probably without ever thinking about the effects of the now open baffle. :rolleyes:

Nice! Now you only need a BHSE to drive the beasts :)

Hmm...>:D

Praise their glory; up my chances of a good sale.... 8~)

Oh, and congrats.

Thanks, they tend to go fast so im sure you'll have no problem.

Glad you were able to get them, hope it was worth it. I didnt realize these had quite so many aging issues as they seem to, makes me feel better about deciding to go for the O2.

Their build quality is certainly questionable, and the pads are just terrible as you can see in the pictures. From what it seems, it looks like I may have some busted o-rings which is inevitable in the HE60 with age, but the driver elements are most likely perfectly functional. I've decided to just get new elements regardless, and have already sent the phones in today. Sennheiser is good at taking care of their customers, even those with discontinued products as in this case. Luckly spare parts are not too expensive, and I hope to have them up and running good as new soon enough.:)

I have on the headpad, and earpads. The headpad is $10.02 and the earpads are $56.23/pr. No price on the drivers yet...

I definately wouldn't try HD6x0 earpads. I was talking about the HD 6X0 headpad, not earpads. Im sure the cloth HD6x0 earpads would completely ruin the sound.

If I'm not mistaken the cost of new drivers are about $300 to $350 or so.

If I'm not mistaken the cost of new drivers are about $300 to $350 or so.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll confirm the price once i'm charged for it.:P

Make sure you get the old drivers back since somebody might want them. It certainly would be cool to replace the woven dust covers with mylar and thus airdamp the drivers...

I did ask for them to give me the old drivers back, since they look to be in excellent condition still. Hopefully they will send them back.

• 2 weeks later...

I received an email today from Sennheiser with a quote for the repairs, and the price for the drivers is not what I expected.:(

Here is a breakdown of what I received in reference for any owners interested in current prices for parts and labor for the HE60:

HD650, headband cushion(I opted for this instead of the flakey HE60 one): 7.69

HE60, elec.

transducer(1 pair): 453.92

HE60 earcushion(1 pair): 56.23

O-rings(1 pair): 7.80

Labor fee: 100.00 in my case.

Also for some reason on top of the 453.92 for the drivers, they are charging 51.53 for "non stock repair part." Im not sure if this is because the item is in backorder and needs to be shipped from Germany, but i'm going to check back with them. So it's going to be more than five hundred just for the drivers, which is different from what some HE60 owners have told me they payed for.:confused:

Im having second thoughts about replacing the drivers. I know I need new o-rings, but do any HE60 owners/previous owners have advice as to if I should even bother replacing the drivers? This is really quite expensive to replace a part that is probably in perfect working condition.

I paid just a bit less for my driver replacement. With the age of the headphones and condition of the pads, I would venture to guess they at least need to be cleaned. Did it take longer than a few seconds for them to charge up, and equally on each side?

If you indeed got a great deal on these and think you are going to hang on to them for a while; drive them with a serious amp, you should consider biting the bullet and get them back to new condition; I was always glad that I did. You can then guard them from dust and be able to enjoy (IMHO) one of the best headphone available. I sorely,sorely miss mine.

ETA - Meant to ask - Did they state whether they tested the drivers and that they need to be replaced, or were they just answering your estimate question? They should be able to tell you whether they are in spec.