Volume Control Method Questions

Les_Garten

I have a Vol Pot from Audio-GD(Kingwa). They use a different way of wiring their Vol Controllers than I've seen and I wanted to hear what you guys think about the method both advantages and disadvantages. Instead of entering the POT on the input and exiting the Signal on the output after passing thru the POT, he uses the POT as a drain of least resistance it looks to me.

The INPUT from the SOURCE and the OUTPUT to the Amp are on the same solder point. The POT works backwards. As you turn the knob clockwise, the Impedance increases. The Impedance is around 1 ohm when the knob is all the way counter-clockwise.

The way I intepret his design is that the signal hits the solder pad on the POT and makes it's path choice based on least resistance. If the POT is Full CCW, the pad is shorted to ground for practical purposes and the Signal goes to ground. If the knob is turned CW, the impedance goes up and some of the signal starts to flow against the input impedance of the amp and the Vol is increased.

At least this is how I think this works, correct me where needed. He does this with his relay based stepped attenuators as well.

Below is a drawing of the path as well as two PIX of a POT he sent me with the wiring of the board the POT is mounted to. I posted Links to the PIX because they are large.

What do you guys think of this approach?

He says he does this because the POT is not in the signal path so he gets better SQ. The only drawback being on some gear maybe not getting full attenuation of volume when the knob is full CCW.

This idea looks like it has a lot of merit, has it been done by any of you guys or anyone else that you know?

If you recognize the POT, that would be helpful also.

Vol.JPG

http://www.turbonet.biz/misc/pot/AAA_1934.JPG

http://www.turbonet.biz/misc/pot/AAA_1935.JPG

Thanx!

if it's any consolation, shunted pots sound great :D

Blown drivers, popped eardrums and severe heart palpitations are nothing compared to that.

Yeah no kidding! But now I wonder about letting that stuff break in unattended for weeks straight like I'm inclined to do. The chance of a failure like that is small, but when that chance nails ya, wheee!