Thinking of going electro

forbigger

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks sprit.....actually i'm mustering my financial ability (and skimming away money from my wife) to see if I have a stomach to buy the omega since I have the kgss already. but i have hesitation and the last thing i want to happen is for me to spend 2G and find out like its like "shit, this is it?". Mind you I cannot audition omega in my areas/country

If you were to purchase the O2, I would be very suprised if you reacted that way. It would most likely be a matter of growing like, or growing dislike as you had more time to understand its sound. I have not personally heard the KGSS, but I can imagine that its brutally honest design means that you will have to make sure your upstream components are up to your standards(or else you'll easily hear flaws). This statement holds true to my experience with amps that are less revealing, so this will definately apply to the more revealing KGSS.

The O2 is a damn fussy creature. If it wasn't for something like the BH, I would most likely not keep it around. In an underamped state you have to be well versed in being able to gain musical satisfaction by capturing various aspects of its marvelous technical merits. And fit is also very crucial. I mean, if I were to just sit back and relax and listen to the music as a whole picture, then the HE60 w/lesser amplification for instance would be much more fun for me to listen to. By comparison the O2 is just slower, its extension although present, seems buried in the mix. It just a thick, bassy snoozefest if I listen to it from a larger perspective. And I think that this has turned away many from keeping it. With proper amplification and a great system behind it, the O2 will transform, but this can take a lot of dedication and time. As I said earlier, I have not heard the KGSS with the O2, so perhaps the KGSS will bring more life into the O2 than compared to my impressions of lesser amps. The best thing you could do is go to a meet, or buy used off Audiogon, HF, Kuboten, YahooJP ect. If you end up not liking it, you wouldn't have much problem reselling for what you paid.

I'm mildly surprised someone went for the KGSS w/o planning for the O2s...

Actually I bought esp950 first then found out the sound not to my liking with e90 so i gathered enough courage to buy kgss based on what i find. and i did not regret it a bit......as this is my first venture into electrostat