Toronto meet at philodox'

aerius

We had a meet yesterday at his new apartment. We had all the expensive Grados. Except the GS1000. Because it sucks.

IMG_8384.jpg

Someone also brought a crappy CD player that no one wanted to listen to, as you can clearly see from the "no disc" status.

IMG_8368.jpg

We also discussed the greatness of Grado quality control, or how every Grado had the same kink right at the cable Y where the wires split. We were astounded at how every Grado from the 225 all the way up to the PS1000 had that same kink at the Y. Oh yeah, and someone said that the pads on my Senn 580 looked like they were made of panties, or pantyhose. I'd like to state for the record that this isn't true, it was made from an old skirt.

I'll let the other guys fill in on the gear & music impressions.

I liked the PS-1. It sounds a lot like the HP-2, which is definitely a credit, in my opinion. It is detailed, neutral-sounding, and it has plenty of bass impact. Also, it seems to have a similar soundstage - not huge, but reaching farther than most of the Grados. The PS-1000 has potential, but I think it needs more burn-in. It's currently a bit bright and flat (as opposed to rich) sounding.

pixel pusher's rig sounded great - it had power to spare and his amp had none of the weaknesses of poorly-designed tube systems. The sound was precise, rich, and musical. Also, it did a good job of warming up its corner of the room. Next time, we should find out if there is a way of switching layers on the Esoteric UX-3. SACD sounded great on the player, but I'm not sure if it was much different than Redbook playback.

I was surprised by the sound of the Alessandro MS-Pro. It sounded a lot less dark than people have generally implied, and more like an RS-1 than I thought. Although it is mostly neutral sounding, the MS-Pro is still more forward and flavored than the Grado HP-2, my reference headphone.

Who was in attendance at this meet? I'd like to hear about Renato's system, if he was there.

Was there desert? What was it? >:D

Myself, Philodox, Hywire, Pixel Pusher, Aerius.

Sorry, my rig was not in attendance. Only my headphones. I brought Pixel Pusher (Kev) and his rig. Between his Esoteric and his McAlister, I think I have a hernia.

No desert, but key lime pie girl can sing. :eek:

A few more pictures and some brief comments.

The LP rig

IMG_8362.jpg

K340 setup

IMG_8385.jpg

Pixel pusher's McAlister amp

IMG_8366.jpg

Nice comfy couch

IMG_8388.jpg

Thoughts. The Esoteric UX3 is a definite improvement over the earlier Esoteric players I've heard, which were the SA-50 and either the SA or DV60. Paired with the McAlister tube amp it sounds great, none of the soul sucking dry sound of the earlier Esoterics. It was criminally fun with the PS-1, fat kickin' bass just the way I like it, it grooves, it feels, it passes the blues emotion test with ease.

I also found I liked the HP-2 more than before. I've always respected it for its abilities & qualities but I can't say I've ever loved one, but I think I'm coming around on that. I do like it now, partly I think it's because my tastes have changed a bit and also because it would make a good compliment to my RS-1.

Oh yeah, Philodox' apartment needs to be treated with ERS paper since the tube amps were picking up a nearby radio station. Either that or it should be wallpapered with aluminum foil. It's the first time I've ever heard a tube amp picking up radio, it was pretty cool actually.

Jay, are there screws missing on your Original CDP faceplate? It looks as though both outer pairs are missing (the ones that hold the feet assemblies in place). If so, what's the deal?

It was too wide to fit in the cabinet, with the feet on.

Looks like a fun meet!

Just look at my Avatar. :P

Is she aware that she's known here fondly as Keylime Pie Girl? :)
Yep, she knows. :D
Oh yeah, Philodox' apartment needs to be treated with ERS paper since the tube amps were picking up a nearby radio station. Either that or it should be wallpapered with aluminum foil. It's the first time I've ever heard a tube amp picking up radio, it was pretty cool actually.
To be fair, it was Kevins amp that was picking up the radio not mine. :)
Jay, are there screws missing on your Original CDP faceplate? It looks as though both outer pairs are missing (the ones that hold the feet assemblies in place). If so, what's the deal?
As Renato said, it wouldn't fit. We found some rubbery door stopper thingies that worked well as feet though.
That even looks like Jays chair.
It does! Creepy. :P

It was a great meet. Nice to see the cool kids again. Saw a crazy ripped pic of Matt [xand1x] in the show your face thread and realized I should have invited him. Oh well, there is always next time.

I continue to love the PS1 and HP2. Rediscovered my affection for the RS1 and have decided to keep them. Bloody recession is making it impossible to sell them anyways.

Need to spend more time with Kevins sexy new source at the next get together. Rachel couldn't stop talking about how crazy big it was. Keeps telling her friends that some weirdo had a $20,000 CD player at our place. :D

My rig drove most of the Grados pretty damn well, even unbalanced. All except the PS1000, which sounded much better out of Kevins amp. I still don't love them, but they are definately a contender. Not a piece of crap like their little brother the GS1000.

Renato supplied me with beer at the meet and forgot to take his door prizes, but I'll hold on to them for him.

IMG_8388.jpg

Sorry if I missed it elsewhere, but can somebody ID the comfy couch sitters? I know Jay and Renato by sight, but not Hywire, Pixel Pusher, and Aerius. Thanks

Philodox (don't call me Phil - Jay), Pixel Pusher (Kev), me, Hywire (Mark), Aerius (Eaphan).

Edited by Looser101
added names

I forgot to mention in my long-winded description of SACD to Key Lime Pie Girl and the guys: SACD's most commonly-described benefits are high resolution and multi-channel recording, but 2 other benefits came to mind yesterday.

SACD has a wider potential frequency range and dynamic range. This gives the engineers more room to work in a variety of recording conditions. There are fewer compromises in compression, a lower noise floor and more potential filtering options.

DVD-A approached the "limitations" of CD using different methods, but the goals were essentially the same. Upsampling DACs (like the Wolfsons in my CD36) are a kind of "hot-rod" solution as they work on the disc's output rather than the recording masters, unlike XRCD and HDCD.

I think that SACD has yet to reach its full potential (recording equipment and hardware components are still evolving), whereas Redbook CD is at the end of its development.