Any thoughts on some of the new entrants in the highend tube amp sector?

PFKMan23

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not a knock off. If you read information on the website you linked, it is an upgraded/tweaked Stello.

Stello have slowly but surely carved out a niche for themselves over the last couple of years in the UK. The key to their positive reviews has been their welcome marriage of high sound quality thanks to their use of premium audio components; solid, battleship-like build quality; and great value.

When Russ heard the latest incarnations, the DA100 DAC and HP100 headphone amplifier at the Consumer Electronics Show earlier this year, he was immediately convinced of their quality and teamed up with them to bring modified versions of the standard equipment. The work he?s done has been primarily on the power supplies to give an even wider dynamic range and a more natural sound.

I can't comment on what will happen if such a thread was posted since I haven't seen the thread and shouldn't discuss it anyway. I am curious since I've ordered the $200 upgrade, does anyone know the name of the person that received the $200 ps with used parts (caps ?) other than KG.? If the name was known, those who have concerns could at least contact him or her (being politically correct) privately. My information is that Ray takes the old board out with all the parts and drops in an new one that is already assembled.

He doesn't include a friggen power chord for $1200? ???

I know a lot of manufacturers don't include a power cord, it actually seems like it's the norm for smaller manufacturers. I'll admit I've thought about it as well. It's not that it's a $1.50 item, but when I'm starring at the screen about to click "Checkout" for $500 worth of power cords that most people are going to throw in a drawer with the rest of their collection...that's when manufacturers decide not to include one.

Justin,

I understand your logic but to me, and granted I've never really been a "customer" of any of the various headphone amp manufacturers, is that this practice screams cheap. When you shell out the kind of money that Ray is charging for his amps I would expect to get something that is complete and working when it arrives. It is the very fact that he wouldn't include a $1.50 part with a $1200 amp that just seems wrong. I could even see offering it as a no-cost option at checkout but at least let people know that it's not coming. I didn't see any "batteries not included" literature on Ray's website (except under the XR10B description).

Just verified to be true.

B52 power supply is exactly the same as 2 x original raptor power supplies

with trendy toroid transformer and vertical standup ceramic thin film resistors

replacing the 300 ohm series resistors. Lm317 for the filament regulator and

Lm783 as the high voltage regulators. Ray is nothing except consistent.

Take a piece of shit design and duplicate it many times.

Working on schematic of B52 amplifier now, sure seems to be exactly the

same as 2 x raptor's with the addition of one extra tube (per channel) to do the

unbalanced to balanced conversion. Ray is going to croak when he finds

out who sent me the pictures of the inside of the b52 amplifier chassis...

$5k ??? He has gotta be kidding.

Guest sacd lover

Wadda you guys think???

Is anyone prepared for the potential of a Singlepower amp using true power output tubes? I will be experimenting with some BIG power pentodes, run strapped triode, as soon as my adapters are done.

Warning: Do not try if you are an idiot.

Here is one of my MPX3's fitted with some 6Y6G power pentodes!

Picture001-4.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Here is a close up of the 6Y6G .... :cool:

aad0065-1.jpg

Here are a few other potential candidates for some high power exploits .... :basshead:

yhst-8476489043850_1912_9891073.jpg

yhst-8476489043850_1910_20738127.jpg

yhst-8476489043850_1913_26879107.jpg

If the sound quality of these tubes is as good or better than current offerings .... we Singlepower owners are really going to have fun. :veryevil:

By the way, the black glass 6Y6G tubes pictured in my amp cost $4 each. :blink:

Earl, I hate to pick on you or anything, but the 6y6g is a single pentode. It is not going to stick into

any mpx3 unless you like the sound of one hand clapping. You are going to need a total of 4 of them

to work in a mpx3. Same thing with el34's and 5881's, 6l6's or kt88's. Now the 6080/6as7 would work

as those are a dual triode.

Guest sacd lover

Earl, I hate to pick on you or anything, but the 6y6g is a single pentode. It is not going to stick into

any mpx3 unless you like the sound of one hand clapping. You are going to need a total of 4 of them

to work in a mpx3. Same thing with el34's and 5881's, 6l6's or kt88's. Now the 6080/6as7 would work

as those are a dual triode.

This is going to be interesting because he is doing the adapter for single pentode tubes. He does have a dual head adapter for two pentodes .... which is much easier to implement. The single socket adapters will have a network with apparently some serious compensation. :mikey2:

The 6080's will definitely work but they need an adapter with a compensation network as well to keep from frying resistors.

Guest sacd lover

Earl let me be a bit more specific.

The picture with the mpx3 and the 6y6g's is clearly for show.

Some idiot may see this and try it themselves. Although it probably

won't do any damage it won't work either.

True .... they will ignore the part stating I am waiting on the adapters. I should post a warning, huh?