he60 & O2

dreamwhisper

Thanks for your replies :)

Are there any issues to buying an O2 mk1 second-hand like with the HE60?

Do the drivers respond differently to environmental conditions over time? dust? wear?

In for sale listings I hardly ever see people advertise them as being stored under a dust cover.

This worries me, considering the price they go for.

Also, I've seen reports of people buying different versions of O2's.

Do the drivers respond differently to environmental conditions over time? dust? wear?

In for sale listings I hardly ever see people advertise them as being stored under a dust cover.

I think most people store them in their box. I think the O2 in general has less aging issues than the HE60.

Very easy but the soldering is not for the faint of heart since you are soldering directly to the driver. Basically you remove the earpads/spring, remove all 6 screws and the black backing plate. Then you access to the cable behind the small masking plug, desolder all the connections and the old one is gone. The new one uses the same system as all other Stax cables, line=+, middle wire is bias and the last one is -. Just remeber to cover up the driver with something solid (cardboard perhaps) before soldering.

I always store mine either in a clear dust cover type bag, or put them in their case if unused for a while. The O2 is a solidly built phone, but as with any headphone you'll want to take extra precaution with the cable entry into the drivers. The MKI especially does not have an effective strain relief to support its heavy cable and with even minimal carelessness it can turn into failure.

The cable is an issue though and can crap out at any time... :(

The cable seems too heavy. I feel like I always have to pick up the cable a couple feet from the strain reliefs to support it or else they'd snap right out of the cups just from the weight.

@manaox, i shouldve known that, apologies to all for using the absolutely most tactless and tired of ways to ask that question

That aside, does anyone know if a near-NOS he60 will likely have o-ring problems imminently?

The O-rings hold the driver in place. They are under some tension as soon as they are installed. Wearing out is likely to be a simple function of time, and not depend on use. So yes, I'd say that any HE60 is likely to have broken O-rings.

The replacement O-rings cost around $20 from Sennheiser.

The skill set needed to perform the replacement is ability to use a philips screwdriver.