What are you reading now?

grawk

Sunday I read:

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

51oYaczcvVL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Great read. Couldn't put it down, starting it first thing Sunday morning, and pecked away at it throughout the day. Yes, it's by Stephen King's son, and yes, it's a story I can imagine as a Stephen King book. But it would stand among some of King's best, IMO. Reminds me more than a little of Bag of Bones. Definitely recommended if you like good horror/thriller/mysteries and a good ghost story.

Just finished a book by a Norwegian who spent 5 years as a paratrooper in the French Foreign Legion (Not available in English as far as I know) .

Currently reading:

The Hobbit (aloud for my son and myself)

HBTN_liten.jpg

and Toni Morrison - Paradise

41EDVCNABAL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

• 1 month later...
i just read ruling and the dissenting opinion on DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ET AL. v. HELLER. the dissent is filled with shaky, tyrannical shit, it really is. i'm not a scalia fan, but he just destroyed Steven's dissent. i'm shocked that 4 of the justices voted the way they did, frankly.

I see your problem. It's a little known fact that the person writing the second amendment was a little dyslexic. It was late and he was tired. It was supposed to read:

"The right to keep and arm bears".

But it got screwed up and here we are.

Just finished a book of short stories titled "the old forest" by Peter Taylor. If you like short stories that aim at being high art then I highly recommend that you check them out. He's the best short story writer that i've read sense flannery o'connor and chekhov.

I've also just started one of the 13 volumes of henry james' complete short tales.

Calculus Made Easy - Silvanus P. Thompson

Got a weird desire to teach myself calculus. I think I need to teach myself pre-calculus first.

Complete Chronicles Of Conan - Robert Howard

Huge hardcover omnibus I bought from amazon.uk a while back. Just cracking it. Some fine stories and fun reads.

Just finished Crichton's State of Fear certainly not Shakespeare but Holy Crap this should be required reading for every college freshman. Highly recommended, one of the most important books of the century. Finally an educated multiperspectival view of the environment and our relationship to it, packed with facts and readily denouncing myths and well intentioned ignorance.

Just finished Crichton's State of Fear certainly not Shakespeare but Holy Crap this should be required reading for every college freshman. Highly recommended, one of the most important books of the century. Finally an educated multiperspectival view of the environment and our relationship to it, packed with facts and readily denouncing myths and well intentioned ignorance.

I haven't read it, but heard of it from my dad. The amount of skewed statistics used as the foundation for the global warming argument is incredible. So much bullshit.

Its like George Carlin said; Industrialized nations have been on this planet for 200 years and we have the conceit to think we pose a threat:

I'm tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is there aren't enough bicycle paths, people trying to make the world safe for their Volvos. There is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The people are (bleep) -- difference, difference. The planet is fine. Compared to the people, the planet is doing great. It's been here four and a half billion years. Did you ever think about the arithmetic? The planet has been here four and a half billion years. We've only been engaged in heavy industry for a little more than 200 years.

Two hundred years versus four and a half billion, and we have the conceit to think that somehow we're a threat, that somehow we're going to put in jeopardy this beautiful little blue-green ball that's just a-floatin' around the sun? The planet has been through a lot worse than us, been through all kinds of things worse than us, been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sunspots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles, hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worldwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages, and we think some plastic bags and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet isn't going anywhere. We are! We're going away.