What are you reading now?

grawk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got into Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. Just freaking awesome stuff. If you are into character driven unconventional fantasy with lots of brutal violence, this is for you. Sometimes predictable, sometimes not so, but never cheesy, and always fun. I burned through the first two and am now 30% through the final book. I'll be sad when this one is over.

• 1 month later...

I've been reading a ton lately with all of my travelling. Christopher Moore's Bite me was very entertaining, and I really liked Shutter Island.

Just finished:

419lLGKuCjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Horns by Joe Hill

I'm not sure I enjoyed it as much as Heart Shaped Box, or the AMAZING 20th Century Ghost Stories. But it was still quite good.

Now I can get back to finishing the latest from his father, which was just too damn heavy for me to have to carry around on the plane!

ConsiderPhlebas.jpg

Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks

my first culture novel, I'm enjoying it. Feels a bit like watching a sci-fi television series, the way he kind of leaves the main plot for about 40% of the book, but the tangent was so entertaining I don't mind.

i just don't get Dan Simmons.

Everything, or just the fantasy stuff? I really like Summer of Night, and the books that follow up with the characters from that one (especially A Winter Haunting), and The Terror. I was disappointed with Drood, struggled to finish Carrion Comfort and couldn't get into any of the fantasy stuff at all.

• 5 weeks later...
i don't get why half of his books are amazing and half are terrible (Carrion Comfort is horrid). i thought Drood was about 150 pages too long. The Terror is amazing. the Hyperion books are amazing. Black Hills is awful. it's like there are two people publishing under the same name and one is a genius and the other is... not a genius.

I haven't ready anything except the Hyperion books (one of my two favorite pieces of Science Fiction ever written) and the Terror (which I thought was interesting but a bit slow, with a cool ending). It's interesting to me that he writes such different types of books, but I do wish he would get back to Sci-Fi and out of this historical horror mode he is currently in.

PS -Salt Peanuts, if you haven't read World War Z you totally should. Probably my favorite or 2nd favorite book I've read this year.