What are you reading now?

grawk

I said "less mindbinding", I didn't say, "not mindbending at all".  I mean, this is still Tim Powers.  I probably should have said, "less mindbending than other Tim Powers that I've read".  But the 4 dimensional imagery in 3 Days to Never and several of the setpieces in The Stress of Her Regard I found to be absolutely mindblowing.

So probably should have put more stress on "excellent" -- still far superior than so many other things I read.  As much as I enjoy Jim Butcher and this new one (Far Time Incident), they seem almost juvenile in comparison.  (Just so everyone understands...typical armchair critic -- I'd probably write something yet even more juvenile.  That said, I prefer to read things above my pay grade.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just finished Blood Meridian. Probably the most intense thing I have ever read. It literally took acts fortitude to get through it at times. Utterly amazing.

I heard the NYTimes polled authors as to what is the most important American work of fiction in the last 30 years and Blood Meridian tied for second. That seems fitting.

Judge Holden can never die.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If anyone is looking for a great short story, you could do a lot worse than the below Saunders online. 

Edited by blessingx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not currently reading (I already read this), but thought others might be interested -- one of my favourite graphic novel writers does a book -- it's about a detective with a drug problem who happens to deal with the supernatural.  He might have the drug problem because he can't deal with dealing with the supernatural:

link

And it's, "name your price".