What are you reading now?

grawk

I've listened to a bit on Audible lately. Here are some in no particular order:

51aKk%2BWF2XL._SX298_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

Isaac Asimov - Foundation / For such a famous, well-regarded book, I was more bored by this than by the work i do, which is mind-numbingly painful. The ending was OK; I was reminded of how many books are great, and I'm sad to see them end, and the ending is good enough, but you're sad that it's over. This wound up being about as good as many for an ending, but it was starting to crescendo in the last tenth of the book. It was enough to make me want to read to wikis to figure out what happened next, but i still haven't even done that yet, so...

moneyballbookcover.jpg

Micahael Lewish - Moneyball / Brilliant book; I want to read some more of his stuff.

18007564.jpg

Andy Weir - The Martian / It was great, and hilarious. I'm glad I read it before watching the movie.

21418013.jpg

John Scalzi - Lock In / Enjoyed it

4699575.jpg

Daniel Suarez - Daemon / Like the one above, another 3-4$ daily deal on Audible that looked interesting, and was. I love finding these cheap reads that introduce me to new authors.

**BRENT**

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

ErnestHemmingway_ForWhomTheBellTolls.jpg

I liked it, I didn't love it. War is hell, and this book is great at showing it. Especially in the final act.

There are some parts of the book that are absolutely fantastic, particularly those involving Pilar and Pablo... especially Pilar. She is an amazing charachter. Her scene describing the actions against the fascists in chapter 10 was the highlight of the book for me. I heard Hemingway named his boat after her.

I wish Robert Jordan had been a more likable lead. I never really warmed to him. Also the literal translation of the Spanish gets annoying fast. That particular aspect of the book has aged very poorly.

4/5.

• 2 weeks later...

Three Body Problem

ThreeBodyProblem.jpg

This is great "hard" science fiction. I enjoyed it more than "The Martian."

It is difficult to talk about the plot without ruining the fun, so I will refrain. Suffice it to say the the book feels inventive and modern, almost Asimov-ian. That is a VERY good thing.

Is this the first time the Hugo award was ever won by someone other than a caucasian?

Recommended without qualification. I will absolutely be picking up the 2nd and 3rd (when it is translated to English in September) books in the trilogy. Heck, I can't wait for the movie to come out.

4.5/5.

------

EDIT: By the way, if anyone else is reading on a Kindle and wants to "borrow" any of the books I've read I think there is a way to "lend" them out. Hit me up via PM.

Edited by TMoney

• 3 weeks later...

I kept getting this ad for Argonauts on Facebook, so I read it.  I actually really enjoyed it.  It's not the best written, but the premise (a cyberpunk update of Jason and the Argonauts) has a lot of interesting thoughts well thought-out.  And I actually kind of enjoyed the whole idea of a "hero" coming to grips with needing a team/support staff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...