What are you reading now?

grawk

6 hours ago, Hopstretch said:

Love the Culture stuff. "Consider Phlebas" is on my personal short list of all-time favorites.

That was my introduction to his work, Stretch. A great novel.

My other favourite is Greg Bear.  Particularly some of his astonishing earlier work like Blood Music and Infinity Concerto.  He's gone off the boil a bit, more recently.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Master & Commander

Master_&_Commander_cover.jpg

It is very good and quite entertaining. I can see why people love this series, but it is a little to much for me. I'm just not quite interested enough in the subject matter to want to continue into the other books. If you sail or have a love of sailing though, I'd consider this a must-read.

4/5.

Albert Camus - The Rebel, by day

Proudhon - The Philosophy of Poverty and Marx - The Poverty of Philosophy, by night

The Philosophy of Poverty is especially good for exploring different ideologies by their ideologists, cuz Proudhon mentions their names and quotations a lot.

Also while Marx tries to be more systematic, he fails alot, imho.  Proudhon proves that he is trully an idealist. And Proudhon's ideas are more useful for today's world. Especially for countries like Turkey.

Master & Commander
Master_&_Commander_cover.jpg
It is very good and quite entertaining. I can see why people love this series, but it is a little to much for me. I'm just not quite interested enough in the subject matter to want to continue into the other books. If you sail or have a love of sailing though, I'd consider this a must-read.
4/5.

I don't sail or love sailing but I read every one of the Aubrey - Maturin books. I do love history, so they're was that.

47 minutes ago, Voltron said:

I don't sail or love sailing but I read every one of the Aubrey - Maturin books. I do love history, so they're was that.

The first book was much better written than I expected. The attention to detail was staggering. I just never really got sucked in to it.

2 minutes ago, MoonShine said:

The sequels are excellent as well: The Dark Forest & The End of Death (just published last month).

I've got holds on the e-books for both at the library, just waiting for the people who have them to turn them back in.

Being able to use my library membership to check out e-books from home and download them to my kindle is pretty damn sweet.

Theodore Millon et. al. - Personality Disorders in Modern Life 2nd Edition

While reading the "Narcissistic Personality Disorder" chapter, most of the and defense mechanisms and rationalization ways of some hi-fi firms (Sennheiser with He-1, MSB, Hifiman) acually point that disorder. They want to be respected, loved for what they have done. And actually some of the buyers of mentioned products, most probably, can be diagnosed with this disorder either.

Edited by Sechtdamon
  • Like 1