What are you reading now?

grawk

1 hour ago, Voltron said:

Nobody cares what you are reading or eating. Read your welcome PM before posting more. Best of luck. 

Hey hey hey, at least they're not hear to hawk wares or demand advice, I'd say that's a step up from the usual Head-Fi-is-down-again crowd.  Besides, maybe it's Steve Zissou.

What we really want to know is what whisky you're drinking while reading Dan Brown -- I'm thinking something expensive but easily obtainable.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Mira Grant's Into the Drowning Deep. Great full-length follow up to her Rolling in the Deep short story. I don't think it will disappoint anyone who's read her previous work, though I wouldn't suggest reading it without reading the short story first.

Not sure what's next... None of the books queued up on my Kindle are jumping out to me.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

(paraphrased from Oathbringer, because I'm too lazy to go and look up the exact quote)

"What", hummed Pattern, "is a chaperone?"

"A chaperone is someone who accompanies two young adults and prevents them from doing anything...inappropriate."

"Like dividing by zero?"

I don't know why, but I found that particularly hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...

vulgar-favors-cover.jpg

Maureen Orth - Vulgar Favors

This is the book that the "The Assassination of Gianni Versace" TV show is based off. I'm enjoying it way more than I should be, given the grizzly subject matter. It is a real page turner.

Maureen Orth is an excellent investigative reporter and I'm a sucker for good reporting. She strikes just the right balance between celebrity trash and high-mindedness. I love it.

I also didn't realize that she was Tim Russert's widow.

Edited by TMoney

• 3 weeks later...

Great idea.  One of my favourite cyberpunk novels.  I was going to re-read it to see if I could spot more of the differences than I picked up on from memory.  The whole trilogy is worth reading (Altered Carbon + Broken Angels + Woken Furies).  I can recommend the two standalone novels as well -- Black Man and Market Forces.

I bought and read Black Man years ago... it was enjoyable, but I felt like I was missing something. Obviously, I should have read the other books.

The book I think of immediately when the transference of consciousness is mentioned is Kiln People by David Brin... highly recommended.

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finished this last night.

51CBSQW0CbL.jpg

I thought it was ok. It is very short, so it went fast and didn't overstay its welcome. From what I've read since finishing the book the "Southern Reach" books were conceived all along as a trilogy, so I guess I can forgive the first book for being stingy with answers.

I think I'll give the second book a shot and see how it goes.

As for the movie? I haven't seen it yet but I think I might wait for it on video. From the trailer it looks like they took A LOT of liberties with the book. Maybe that is a good thing? I guess I'll find out eventually.

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...