What are you reading now?

grawk

The_Underground_Railroad_(Whitehead_nove

The Underground Railroad - Colson Whitehead

What if the Underground Railroad was actually a subterranean railroad? That is the hook that draws you in here, but it is the journey through antebellum America that really drives the narrative. This has strong vibes of The Odyssey, filtered through Cormac McCarthy. In my opinion this is/was a deserving winner of both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer for fiction. Whitehead really showed me something here. I think I'll read more of his stuff in the future.

I read this ahead of diving in to the Amazon Prime series based on it. The book is brutal. I'm not sure I have the stomach to watch the series after reading the book.

One of the things Whitehead does masterfully is to have asides where he will go back and show things from earlier in the book in a new light or from a different point of view. While Whitehead by no means is the first to do this, he does it so tactfully and so beautifully that it really elevates his narrative. I'll be curious how they handle that in the show, given how different the natural rhythms of reading a book are from watching a tv series.

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished the Broken Earth trilogy by N.K. Jamisin.

Fabulous!

Each of the three books won the Hugo award the year it came out. All three are deserving winners.

I’d rank this as my second favorite sci-fi series of the last decade after the Three Body Problem books.

image.jpeg.23784a9980450c503c5f774142bb1b09.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d19ac1400a7d4e44291f6f95ae51ff51.jpeg

image.jpeg.5a817e7a94337c733ad122f2e8b4c14a.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I read the first one and liked it, still need to read the other 2.

Also LOVED the 3BP series.

Reading The Wasp Factory now.

& Gravity's Rainbow.

Going full immersive on the Pynchon:

First I read the corresponding chapter in Weisenburger's Companion, then I read the actual chapter, then I read the online Wiki, then I listen to the chapter on audiobook, then, lastly, I look at the corresponding pages in Pictures Showing What Happens on Each Page of Thomas Pynchon's Novel Gravity's Rainbow.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

image.jpeg.b371d9446713791c50862fa32bdfa77f.jpeg

Rex Stout - Fer-De-Lance.

My first Nero Wolfe. I like it! I think I’ll for sure be coming back to Nero and Archie for some more fun mysteries in the future.

-

At a friend’s suggestion I did an experiment and read this while listening to music in the background. The friend mentioned that having ambient music on while reading helped their brain having something to bounce off of when they inevitably lose focus on the book. There might be something to that. It seemed to work for me. I burned through the book a lot faster than I usually do in just two evenings.

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 1

Started Station Eleven last night, but this morning Alex Steffen on discontinuity and the planetary crisis.  

https://alexsteffen.substack.com/p/discontinuity-is-the-job 

https://alexsteffen.substack.com/p/were-not-yet-ready-for-whats-already 

Learning fun new words like “transapocalyptic”.

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rebecca-FE.jpg

Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier

I saw Rebecca listed as one of the top 10 crime books on a list somewhere so I was intrigued. I’ve also seen it on lots of people’s bookshelves over the years.

About halfway through I was not convinced. It felt like a gothic romance novel and I wasn’t sure where things were going.

What an ending though! I loved it. It’s place among the great crime novels is well deserved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Project Hail Mary - Andy Weir

Project_Hail_Mary,_First_Edition_Cover_(

From the author of The Martian, this is another "science the shit out of it" book. It is extremely entertaining.

If you liked either the book or movie of Martian, this one is a no-brainer.

Wikipedia says the movie rights have already been snapped up. I'll be very curious how they make the movie work for reasons I won't spoil here.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just Finished

image.png.0a5679978d608ca7838f6343fd0ee5f1.png

Just as you would expect some stories of tragic losses (most recent not included) and rocking. 

Now:

tergwefqwefewfe.jpg.13897a6fb2993fa83eb3

Off of the internet archive

https://archive.org/details/JohnRackhamAlienVirus1955/mode/1up

Edit: The only problem is that it is part for of the Space Puppet series, so I am at a little disadvantage not reading the others first. :)

Edited by mikeymad

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.d845b30027194e311947164b278e1dae.png

Endurance - Alfred Lansing

I was inspired to pick this up after they found the Endurance preserved under the ice.

What. A. Story. I knew the broad outlines of the Shackleton expedition, but this takes you day by day through the gauntlet. It is an incredible tale of survival that I wouldn't believe if it wasn't true.

Chilled me to the bones and I can't get the smell of burning seal flesh out of my nose.

Highly recommended.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...