grawk

What are you reading now?

11 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Seriously thinking about reading Napoleons Buttons —anyone recommend/disrecommend?

I bought a copy for my dad a few years ago (and I read it last year) – it's one of his favorite books. It's well written and full of those anecdotal science/history stories that stick in your mind. My takeaway from the book is that science can change humanity, but it doesn't do much for scientists, sometimes. Many of the inventors/discovers were considered failures in their lifetimes and they suffered through enormous hardship.

• Like 1

We were also intrigued by the role serendipity has been accorded in numerous chemical discoveries. Luck has often been cited as crucial to many important findings, but it seems to us that the ability of the discoverers to realize that something unusual has happened—and to question why it occurred and how it could be useful—is of greater importance. In many instances in the course of chemical experimentation an odd but potentially important result was ignored and an opportunity lost. The ability to recognize the possibilities in an unexpected result deserves to be lauded rather than dismissed as a fortuitous fluke. Some of the inventors and discoverers of the compounds we discuss were chemists, but others had no scientific training at all. Many of them could be described as characters—unusual, driven, or compulsive. Their stories are fascinating.

Oh, yeah, definitely reading this.

It's World Book Day! Currently reading:

The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin

10867.jpg

Market Forces by Richard Morgan

market-forces.jpg

• Like 1

Still working my way through Oathbringer.  Fantastic.  The parts with...

...Shallan getting killed repeatedly are hilarious.  “Oh, bother.”  But then he puts her through the emotional wringer and had me weeping.  Good times.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/us-cell-carriers-selling-access-to-real-time-location-data/

This is pretty disgusting. The cell phone carriers are selling their user's real time location data to anyone who wants it.

It is supposed to require the consent of the user, but we all know there are plenty of slimy ways of getting consent, like say burying it into a lengthy TOS contract that no one is ever going to read.

The state of privacy in the 21st century is just sickening.