Should I sell it all?

JBLoudG20

Lately I've been thinking if a home rig is really even worth it. I haven't used my home rig intensively for about 5 months. I really only use it when I am programming on my computer for school. I listen to music non-stop, but I've been using my portable setup the most. I guess I'm just at the point where I wonder if its worth all this.

I have: Cardas cabled (balanced) k340, balanced 325i, my custom tube amp, Zhaolu, monster hts2500mkII. I figure I could sell it all and upgrade the weak link in my portable setup (e2c) to (e500).

My portable consists of Zen Vision:m, pint, e2 and k81dj.

I know this decision is really best answered myself, but I'm hoping for some words of wisdom.

I was in a similar situation a while ago... I had a great source, 3 amps, 2 pairs of home cans and just never felt I listened enough to justify keeping them all. I sat down and figured out why... like you, I did a majority of my listening elsewhere. For me it was while at work. So I sold off a majority of my home rig (MonsterPower 3500, PPA v2 + STEPS, M3 + STEPS, HD-650 & Zu Mobius, Denon DVD-2910). I still have the Millett Hybrid + db + STEPS Nate built for me, and my woodied HF-1, and when I want CD's, I can pull out my Denon DVM-4800 for ALPHA-processor goodness. This was the rig I used the most, so it was the one I kept. I used a little of that money to upgrade my work rig, and put the rest away. So now I have a mid-fi home rig I love and a kick-ass little office rig for where I listen the most.

So, if you can't justify keeping it, go ahead and re-allocate your $ where you think you'll use it and pocket the rest. It can be fun putting together an amazing rig, but if you're not using it, it's a waste.

I am perfectly happy ith the home rig, except for the fact that I feel tied-down. I do very much enjoy listening to my K340, I just sometimes regret spending all that money. Basically its just diminishing returns kicking me in the ass. I LOVE music, and I HATE hearing lo-fidelity. But I feel that after a certian point, especially where the dimishing returns really come into play, that my musical enjoyment scaled up along with the fidelity of my systen, it just flatlined. So I spent more, got better sound, for the same (or a tad less) enjoyment.

My K340 does accompany me well with my late night VHDL adventures. And I think I would regret selling them.

I KNOW I don't want to invest anything more out of pocket. I realize my home gear can be improved, but I don't feel the need for that. At the moment I am thinking about selling the 325i and the e2 (even though I know I wont get much) and getting a better IEM.

What IEM should I be looking at for about $200-225ish?

Agree on B&H. Just never an issue when I deal with them. Can't say the same for folks like Amazon, Buy.com and J&R.

Btw, did they finally get the fragile tubes on the ety's corrected? Loved mine but man, when the tubes cracked after I'd taken such good care of them, I wrote 'em off and sold them.

I am perfectly happy ith the home rig, except for the fact that I feel tied-down. I do very much enjoy listening to my K340, I just sometimes regret spending all that money. Basically its just diminishing returns kicking me in the ass. I LOVE music, and I HATE hearing lo-fidelity. But I feel that after a certian point, especially where the dimishing returns really come into play, that my musical enjoyment scaled up along with the fidelity of my systen, it just flatlined. So I spent more, got better sound, for the same (or a tad less) enjoyment.

My K340 does accompany me well with my late night VHDL adventures. And I think I would regret selling them.

I KNOW I don't want to invest anything more out of pocket. I realize my home gear can be improved, but I don't feel the need for that. At the moment I am thinking about selling the 325i and the e2 (even though I know I wont get much) and getting a better IEM.

What IEM should I be looking at for about $200-225ish?

Well, that's odd -- that's not buyer's remorse, that's more like owner's remorse...or maybe owner-and-not-user's remorse.

So yeah, sell off your stuff (but maybe not the K340) and upgrade your portable system and use your portable system as your home system also.

Oh, and I second all the Etymotic recommendations. And the B&H Photo recommendations. I bought my 6i's from buy.com. One of these days I'll grow up to a 4 or something.

I do have to question the Ety ER4 recommendations, it's very different from the Shure sound and I'm not convinced it's the right way to go. To me at least, Shures have a decent balance with slightly rolled off highs while the Ety ER4 is painfully bright with super-tight and to me, lacking and dry bass. The ER4 is among the most sterile and analytical IEM or headphone I've ever heard, and with an all solidstate signal chain it just spells trouble IMO. Personally I'd much rather grab a Shure E4, not it's not quite as detailed & resolving but I find the balance is a lot better and the tone is much more to my liking.

I'm pretty sure I got a good seal since I couldn't hear a damn thing from outside. Heard'em at a couple meets with both flanges & foams, it absolutely needs tube gear and even then I still didn't like it much. To me it's for someone who likes the HP-1000 sound as opposed to the RS-1 or PS-1 sound.

...To me at least, Shures have a decent balance with slightly rolled off highs while the Ety ER4 is painfully bright with super-tight and to me, lacking and dry bass...
I disagree. To me, the Shures (e2's) are painfully rolled off (not Sennheiser rolled off -- much worse; veiled, even), and the Ety's are detailed and clear. No, they've not the best bass, but they have pretty damn good bass -- kind of sealed enclosure bass, like Spendor S3/5's, except starting lower. It's taught, but extended, and does not roll off sharply, like a bass reflex speaker. I liked the bass, in a not-for-home-theatre-or-games kind of way.

I disagree. To me, the Shures (e2's) are painfully rolled off (not Sennheiser rolled off -- much worse; veiled, even), and the Ety's are detailed and clear. No, they've not the best bass, but they have pretty damn good bass -- kind of sealed enclosure bass, like Spendor S3/5's, except starting lower. It's taught, but extended, and does not roll off sharply, like a bass reflex speaker. I liked the bass, in a not-for-home-theatre-or-games kind of way.

I completely agree about the e2. I HATE the trebile on them. I am a little worried now about the brightness on the ety... but I DO own a 325i after all, I bet itll be fine.