Audio GD 19MK3

regal

i'm surprised that my comment about the vintage-ish dacs being mediocre has stood un-argued. i usually stay out of those threads, especially since my opinion includes modded units on display at canjam.

Hard to argue since you haven't named any specific DAC. I have heard crappy, good and very good vintage DACs.

Also I can imagine it's hard to make solid impressions about sources at meets since the entire chain being unfamiliar...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to argue since you haven't named any specific DAC. I have heard crappy, good and very good vintage DACs.

Very true, but that is not the arguement being perpetuated in this thread: i.e. "X DAC has Y chip so it is better than all DACs using Z chip because everybody with a weird name knows that Y chip eats Z chip for lunch, Dude."

So, you put the "warmish" output from the Pico DAC & amp into the M^3 and it comes out more neutral or coldish? All that might prove is that the M^3 is not dead neutral. :palm: :palm:

Hey, I didn't say that! :P

Anyway, today I have to return the Pico to its rightful owner. I'm gonna miss it... such a great little thing.

Very true, but that is not the arguement being perpetuated in this thread: i.e. "X DAC has Y chip so it is better than all DACs using Z chip because everybody with a weird name knows that Y chip eats Z chip for lunch, Dude."

I guess the rebutal would more properly be:

Back in da day manufacturerrs be rolling 40 deep OG style, none of this spinnerz on tricyclez or baseball cardz in da spokes, delta-sigma? shiiiiiiiiiiiite, seventeeen ohhh fours and PM Deeez nutz 100 or broke

That's a much better null hypothesis :)

Back in da day manufacturerrs be rolling 40 deep OG style, none of this spinnerz on tricyclez or baseball cardz in da spokes, delta-sigma? shiiiiiiiiiiiite, seventeeen ohhh fours and PM Deeez nutz 100 or broke

rakim > 50 cent

Or we could just say dumb ass assumptions (not hypotheses as they were imperative statements and not interogatory) made without any data are just fucked-up stupid no matter who makes 'em or where they are made.

Or we could just say dumb ass assumptions (not hypotheses as they were imperative statements and not interogatory) made without any data are just fucked-up stupid no matter who makes 'em or where they are made.

Who was making the original assumption? Me, Jacob, Regal?

My post really wasn't meant to be taken seriously, as your X, Y, Z statement obviously wasn't a null hypothesis, and I don't think anyone could have construed one from the gibberish I posted :)

Who was making the original assumption? Me, Jacob, Regal?

My post really wasn't meant to be taken seriously, as your X, Y, Z statement obviously wasn't a null hypothesis, and I don't think anyone could have construed one from the gibberish I posted :)

I was agreeing with you by extending your gibberish with my own. And reks has it right, my comment was directed at Regal's statement of certainty backed up by the gods of whatever.

Just compare a $1000 PS Audio DLIII Sigma Delta to a $200 Ebay Adacom GDA700 or a $150 Audio Alchemy DDE v1.2, its embarassing. I honestly dont see how anyone can listen to the PCM179x chips.

Same can be said about the Benchmark. And this 19MK3 Chinese JY build beats them all, even the Pass D1 clone I built. Sorry I don't have any DATA, there is no serial port on my ears :) Take my advice or leave it, just trying to help people by not making the same expensive mistakes I made.

One thing does piss me off about AudioGD, they won't sell you the schematics even after buying the damn thing, I have never purchased anything from a car to a washing machine that I didn't buy the schematics (service manual) for. If it weren't for that I'de try one of there more expensive DAC's.

Edited by grawk

Same can be said about the Benchmark. And this 19MK3 Chinese JY build beats them all, even the Pass D1 clone I built. Sorry I don't have any DATA, there is no serial port on my ears :) Take my advice or leave it, just trying to help people by not making the same expensive mistakes I made.

One thing does piss me off about AudioGD, they won't sell you the schematics even after buying the damn thing, I have never purchased anything from a car to a washing machine that I didn't buy the schematics (service manual) for. If it weren't for that I'de try one of there more expensive DAC's.

Hey, at least you know what chips are inside

Hey, at least you know what chips are inside

I guess thats better than some manufactures tell you!

Theoretically.

It is beyond believe that people could be so uneducated about economics and manufacturing to think a PMD100 or PCM1704 could be cloned & tooled up with there being any money in it.

How many $500 Chinese DAC's do you think sell in a year? I'll wager less than a thousand with the PMD100 and less than 2000 with the PCM1704. There are very few higher end DAC buyers. Kids want USB 2707+1798 with a cmoy output for $45. Thats what sells folks, not quality stuff.

Now sure they can be stamping a K on a U chip but so what, no one could hear the difference anyhow.

Edited by grawk

I guess thats better than some manufactures tell you!

It is beyond believe that people could be so uneducated about economics and manufacturing to think a PMD100 or PCM1704 could be cloned & tooled up with there being any money in it.

How many $500 Chinese DAC's do you think sell in a year? I'll wager less than a thousand with the PMD100 and less than 2000 with the PCM1704. There are very few higher end DAC buyers. Kids want USB 2707+1798 with a cmoy output for $45. Thats what sells folks, not quality stuff.

Now sure they can be stamping a K on a U chip but so what, no one could hear the difference anyhow.

I don't think anyone suggested that a clone of a PMD100 or PCM1704 would actually attempt to copy the design of those chips....ok, i think counterfeit is the word that should be used

You'll have to bear with us. We're often drunk.

Now do you think it possible that they could be stamping 1704k on an entirely different chip?

Do you have much experience with counterfeits from Asia? It sounds like you know a lot. Unfortunately, like 'stretch, I am an ignoramus. My personal work experience with counterfeits in China is limited only to mass-manufacturing of pharmaceuticals/OTC drugs and, to a lesser extent, consumer goods.

But I do know a fair amount about Chinese petrochemical companies and their plants. I could swap funny stories about those all day long.