Finally worked through my Singlepower (Mikhail) closet of anxiety

guzziguy

Mikhail had the tubes in another small business area (like the original spot he worked out of) he had rented, a short drive from there. Thats where my wife saw them on one of here trips to Denver. Not sure where he keeps them now.

Long since gone from there. He put together a pre-fab storage building on his property in Byers, shortly after he moved his plant. They were at the Byers facility, at least until he broke off contact.

• 2 months later...

i haven't had a chance to listen much recently. After Kevin repaired mine, it certainly sounds no worse and probably sounds better. I can't compare them side by side and I don't trust my music memory. I didn't have noise so no obvious (without opening the case) problems were fixed. However, I'm much happier because I know it is now safe and as close to spec as can be made.

It's a bit amazing just how tenacious the SP curse is, even my 100% rebuilt amp hasn't escaped it completely. Just about the only SP item I reused was some of the old wiring for the filaments. The only reason is that it is rather large and being solid core, can be twisted tightly and once fixed in place, stays there. The problem is the insulation though, it melts and splits even at low heat.

So one of the times I fired up the amp this week I cued up the first song and half way through it got quieter and quieter until distortion crept in. Hmmm, I looked at the amp, all leds lit and so were the 7n7's but the EL34's were dark. All voltages tested just fine on the PSU so it had to be the fubar filament wires yet I found nothing wrong with them or my soldering. I moved the wires around a bit and the problem hasn't resurfaced in the roughly 40 hours the amp has been in use since then but the wire is clearly cursed... :D

• 3 weeks later...

Seems he still has thousands of 5687's to peddle. He hasn't totally vanished as he continues to offer new amps to people that placed orders a long time ago. Of those cases I've never seen an amp that actually had the features the people wanted, just some random stuff off the shelf. Could be something in for repair which he fixed and is trying to sell off.

• 2 weeks later...