Dr. Bronner's Magic All-One 18-in-1 Hemp Peppermint Pure-Castile Soap

blessingx

I like saying that three times fast. I may be very late to the game and this all common knowledge (from web search it certainly appears it's big with the hippies), but anyone else here try Castile soaps (buying or making - making)?

A friend bought a bunch in prep for a camping trip (those 18-in-1 uses - body, shampoo, tooth-paste, aphrodisiac, bug repellant, etc.), so I gave it a try and man, if it's possible to be excited about liquid soap (it is!), this is it.

Besides the strange pick-me-up (nose, skin and other sensations - easily conteracting the rum from the night before), with Dr. Bronners you're also entertained by the most unusual label I've seen in some time on a consumer product. "More good is caused by evil than good. Enlarge the positive!" "Each swallow works hard to be perfect pilot-provider-builder-trainer-teacher-lover-mate, no half-truth hate!" "Americanism is the knowledge of, the loyalty inspiration or attachment to the Army of Principles of All-One-God-Faith." And there's more wisdom as seen below...

dr-bronner-peppermint-soap-label.png

Anyway, if the label makes me feel a bit dirty, the soap does the opposite. I swear showers are more fun in the morning. So anyone else have experience with Castile?

My only problem with castille soap is it tends to be overly drying. I do like the dr bronners tea tree oil bar soap. When I'm feeling particularly greasy tho, I do still shower with the hemp castille soap. I usually follow it up with a moisturizing soap tho.

Plus, it's been around for years. When I was a kid, my mom always had the peppermint around, so we used it a lot. Powerful stuff -- the mintiness can bring tears to a grown man's person's eyes.

I now use the unscented/baby/whatever variety for cleaning my mask that I sleep with on. (Light green label.)

I do remember it being overly drying when used daily. So we only used it when liquid soap was appropriate -- whatever that means.

I never could bring myself to use it as a toothpaste.

I live in the homeland of Amway/Alticor. I've heard the life story of Jay VanAndel and Rich DeVos (founders) ad nauseum. Dr Bronner's story is more entertaining than the "pull myself up by boot straps" and the ethic of hard work that is the Amway story (or at least the semi official byline).

Never quite know what I'm going to learn at HC. :eek:

I guess there used to be 19 uses.

Why do we use organic grain alcohol in the lotions?

Organic grain alcohol (ethanol) is used as a natural preservative at a level that helps absorption without being drying.

Why do we no longer make ‘naked’ unscented lotion?

Under US law, the certified organic grain alcohol we use must be “denatured” or rendered undrinkable by adding one of various approved substances, and the only options to do this naturally and organically are a small amount (~0.18%) of peppermint, lavender or rosemary essential oils.

My only problem with castille soap is it tends to be overly drying. I do like the dr bronners tea tree oil bar soap. When I'm feeling particularly greasy tho, I do still shower with the hemp castille soap. I usually follow it up with a moisturizing soap tho.

That's the exact same problem I have with all castille soaps I have tried. I made some shaving soap with castille as a base and it dried my face out real bad.

Now I just use it to make liquid soap for washing my hands. I use Proraso for shaving and my own DIY pre-shave and after-shave balm. :)

just the lotion, dusty, not the soap
Yeah, it's the lotion that I use. "unscented baby-mild" -- the local My Organic Market had several, so I bought them out just in case.

And I'm an atheist, but condone nutballship if it's mostly harmless.

EDIT: Oh, oh, oh, lotion as in lotion, not as in liquid soap. Got it, never mind. I use the liquid soap, not the lotion.

EDIT #2: Jesus Christ, it comes in a 5 gallon container?

Edited by Dusty Chalk