Should I Get an HD600?

The Monkey

• 3 years later...

Agreed with Penelopez... for me: HD600 > HD650 > K501 > K601 > K701 >>> T1 >>(near here is the cutoff where headphones need to be hurled into the sun)>>>>>>>>>>>> DT990 > DT770 > K240 Sextetts > Grado GS1000/PS1000 > any Ultrasones. That Beyer treble is a real killer

And now I'm just going to unsee this thread to keep from getting in on the Massdrop. Good luck, Dusty :D

• Like 3

Nah, Jacob, I don't know if you just listened to them or you made some serious comparisons. I had those here on loan from an acquaintance , fed them with Gilmore Reference, Beta22, Luxman... and with none of them the poor thing stood a chance against the HD600, K701 which are cheaper. Compared to the HD800 or any Stax the difference was huge, they sounded like broken, like comparing Ultrasone to anything else. If you don't do any direct comparison and just "listen to the beautiful music" then it's acceptable, nothing is really awful, but when you A-B them with anything decent, then you realise how poor and limited is the treble and all the nasty resonances the poor thing has in the bass.

I was comparing them to my first pair of HD-800s, and like I said, I had them for about 6 months, so there was a lot of comparing.   I think the HD-800 was a bit better, on average, but there were quite a few things I preferred about the T1.  The Beyers didn't seem to like solid state amps all that much, but they sure sang with the SP Extreme and good glass.

The T1s are 600 ohm.  I owned the DT880-600 (which I think are a real bargain for the $175 they go for), and they also definitely liked OTL amps better than solid state.  I don't think there is any "masking" going on, I think it's just impedance match, more than anything else.

25 minutes ago, swt61 said:

Then again, I loved the K340 and K1000. Not the most popular headphones.

It's been ages since I've heard either.  I'd love to hear the K1000 again.

Absolutely! Fit and toe out/in is critical for the best results. Meets are not a good place to audition headphones in general, but even more so with the K1000.

I really miss mine! Even more than I thought I would. That pseudo speakeresque quality just worked for me, even at the expense of the lower frequencies.

• Like 2