Should I Get an HD600?

The Monkey

2 hours ago, wink said:

.... and, you get Hifiman's great reliability as a bonus.....   What's not to like....?

I really enjoyed my HE6, after modding, but will never buy another HFM product. The shitty reliability of my HM901S was a big disappointed. The build quality of the 3K V1 HEK was laughable.

I think I would rather stuff my nutsac into a bacon slicer than buy another HFM product. Never again.

I've tested/listened some Hifiman He line up: 400s, 560, 6 and 1000 V1.

400s has serious ergonomic and seal issues: too much pressure on the upper side, and gap between lower ear; neck and shell. And headband was a joke, hurting after 1-2 song. 400s sounded thin, most probably because of gap. (but maybe my head isn't ergonomic for it?!)

560 was okey about ergonomics (most probably because it is lighter than others) and seal, has a bit too much presurre on the upper side but not as bad as 400s  ... But focus earpads? Literally cooked my head.

6 was too heavy. And same pressure problem. I guess there is nothing to say more. (could not keep it on my head for 2nd song)

Only 1000 v1 was perfect. No ergonomic issue, no sealing issue, and no earpad issues. I don't care about "build quality" that much. But quality wasn't bad.

What is laughable about it's build quality, I don't understand.

But I highly doubt if Mr. Hifiman cares about build quality.

But from massdrop drops, Re-00 was not bad, imho. But as they tried to "warm" Re-0, Re-00 became a bit muddy. So not as good as Re-0

And about HD6xx, if it sounds similar to HD650, I prefer HD600. And yes massdrop version is cheaper than 650 but adding "x"es instead of other numbers and putting "massdrop" sticker on them does not change the dark, veiled and even bit muddy sound signature.

Edited by Sechtdamon

But when will the HE400S V2 MkII subseries 3.1 w/ earpad mod come out?

There's huge debates on whether or not Sennheiser's various driver changes to the HD6xx line over their years caused a change in sound or whether it's just due to the earpads flattening out over time. So far I've been too busy collecting and not collecting 'stats to care, but might pick up a dynamic headphone for the Dynalo Mini so need to do some preliminary research. I still have a few trusty vintage orthos (Fostex T10, T20v1, T20v2, T40v1, Concept CE-H, Realistic Pro 30) laying around if I want planar sound.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, EdipisReks1 said:

The T1s are 600 ohm.  ...  I don't think there is any "masking" going on, I think it's just impedance match, more than anything else.

I agree that driven with a non-0 output impedance the T1 is decent. I used them with the L2 with a 600R resistor in parallel for a while and found it to be a good combination.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dsavitsk said:

I agree that driven with a non-0 output impedance the T1 is decent. I used them with the L2 with a 600R resistor in parallel for a while and found it to be a good combination.

The Luxman P-1 isn't exactly 0 Ohm output, but I didn't like the result much. Maybe using a resistor in parallel as you did could improve the results. Too much hassle anyway, I don't see how the T1 could be an improvement over a properly driven HD800.

30 minutes ago, Torpedo said:

Too much hassle anyway, I don't see how the T1 could be an improvement over a properly driven HD800.

For sure.  That treble on the HD-800, even modded, just killed me, long term.  Everything else was great.  Maybe I should just get the HD-800S, but I don't wanna spend the money.  Did I mention that the Tesla T1 can be had, used, for $400?  And that I liked them, quite a lot, with my gear?

Edited by EdipisReks1