Should I Get an HD600?

The Monkey

40 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

No, I remember even before , the HD600 was considered veiled unless you amped it properly . I don't consider one more veiled than the other . 

I always thought that "veiled unless amped properly" just meant "like most headphones, they sound best when properly amplified."

• Like 4

Yeah, but this was in the early days, when most people were not amplifying properly.  And yes, you're right, most headphones "scale" -- they respond well to increasingly better amplification.  I think the HD600 are worse than most (in the same way I think the VTGs and the Sony MDR-7506/-V6 are better than most, in that they scale very little).

2 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Yeah, but this was in the early days, when most people were not amplifying properly.  And yes, you're right, most headphones "scale" -- they respond well to increasingly better amplification.  I think the HD600 are worse than most (in the same way I think the VTGs and the Sony MDR-7506/-V6 are better than most, in that they scale very little).

High impedance, relatively low sensitivity.