Should I Get an HD600?

The Monkey

I have heard (and currently have at home for loan) the HD580, which is described to be almost equal as the HD600, so keep this in mind when reading my impressions.

I don't like it. Granted, I am used to stuff like modded 404, SR-X Pro, Omega 2, but the HD580 don't even give me the same enjoyment as certain IEMs. My amplifier is a CKKIII, just to put it in perspective. On the good, the bass is pretty deep, the soundstage is big, the midrange is on the full, lush side. On the bad, the midbass/upper bass is painfully, irritatingly slow and prominent. In fact, it's so slow that it manages to make the pacing in the music wrong, and superimpose it's own "rhytm" to everything else. Treble is not exciting enough. Although I hate sibilance and crap like that, and the HD580 doesn't suffer from that, I feel the headphone is not exciting, not involving and sleep inducing... or at least, it would be, if the wrong timing of the bass didn't annoy me.

:D The HD600 was my first high-end headphone and one I still like to this day.

x2 while I agree with Tony that it requires some amp-matching to make it sounding a bit enticing. With many amps it's not a fun can at all. It also depends on the music you listen. I enjoy it much more with classical and jazz than with anything else.

Agreed, its issues are less prominent with Jazz (actually it helps jazz to sound good). Classical... I don't know, I heave heard it sound more involving and less sedated. The other genres just don't sound good to me. What it does well is the midrange, but bass and treble have way more issues.

Yes. It's a fantastic headphone. I use it for monitoring my remasters late at night when the neighbors are sleeping.

However, if you can place the $$ towards JH13's - do that instead. I'm dying to get a pair of JH13's but I am too broke and poor to buy some.

I really enjoy listening to my HD600s (I'm using an HD650 cable with them, because it was cheap and long) - I listen to them for hours quite comfortably, both because the headband is comfortable and the sound is pleasant. They don't sound boomy to me. I'll watch TV/movies and listen to music with them - they do a good job all around.

Granted, I don't have many other high-end cans to compare them to - but I can say that compared to my SE530s (which I really like, and also listen to for 8 hours a day in the lab), the HD600s just sound moar better (one example is that in a lot of techno I listen to there are beats and synths that sound more spine-tingling on HD600s than the SE530s). Other headphones that I've heard (K601s, Grado SR-80) don't lend themselves to longer listening sessions for my tastes.

I like the HD600 a lot, and it's one of the few dynamics I can say that about. If I were less financially irresponsible I could probably have stopped with the HD600 and would have been happy. But then again the O2 is similar in many ways and better. But then again again, the HD600 is cheap enough that you can just get one to mess around with. A source that's good with the O2 will probably be good with the HD600. Also, run it balanced, you'll speed up the transient response a bit. It won't be fast, but it will be faster than SE at least. For music that requires speed the HD600 just won't do on most rigs, but for everything else it's nice. An amp with some tube color can also liven it up a bit.

I've purchased the HD600 5 times now. They're the only headphone I've purchased 5 times. I've purchased other twice and one other headphone thrice.... but nothing else has been purchased fivice by me except the HD600.

....... you could always just keep a set, you know...... ;)