Should I Get an HD600?

The Monkey

Trust me I'm an electrostatic guy all the way and would take my Lambda Pro over them too sound wise.  I just don't think they were Darth Beyer bad.  BTW, they are not bad value given how collectible they are.  They are worth between $4000 to $5000 easy on Yahoo Japan. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HiWire said:

I took a pass on the HD 6XX. I'll wait and see how prices go on Black Friday... not completely wedded to the Sennheiser sound.

This, but mostly because I've already got a pair of 650s which are good enough and sound fantastic with the current dynamic amp, veil be damned.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I very much doubt it.  This smells like Sennheiser clearing old parts inventory.  

I don't think that sennheiser will be dropping the HD600/650 from the lineup. This might be a very smart move from them to get quite a few units to the market and increase brand recognition with millennials and get some of the market away from beats. 

I bought a pair, I sold my hd650 long time ago and this was a nice opportunity to get a new pair at a great price.

Now I just need to build a new amp for them...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I very much doubt it.  This smells like Sennheiser clearing old parts inventory.  

I don't think so -- the way Massdrop works is, they promote a slightly tweaked version of an already popular product, sort of like Grado did with Head-Fi and the HF-1 and HF-2.  I mean, I still applaud you for being suspicious, as we all should be, but I don't think it's as bad as all that.  They may be using this as a venue for trying out a slightly new tweak on the HD650, there's nothing in the rules against that.  I'm just weary of what the tweaks could be, as I don't consider all tweaks to necessarily be improvements.

8 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

the way Massdrop works is, they promote a slightly tweaked version of an already popular product, sort of like Grado did with Head-Fi and the HF-1 and HF-2.

That is definitely not how Massdrop mostly works.  I interviewed with them for a job, in 2014, and got the express tour.  The business, behind the scenes, is quite different from how it appears, on its face.

17 minutes ago, MASantos said:

I don't think that sennheiser will be dropping the HD600/650 from the lineup. This might be a very smart move from them to get quite a few units to the market and increase brand recognition with millennials and get some of the market away from beats. 

Keep in mind that Ireland is a big part of the descriptor for these phones.  It's not cheap to manufacture things there, anymore, and hasn't been for years.  Sennheiser almost certainly produced a big lot of components, and has been doling them out.  Also keep in mind that the largest part of Sennheiser revenue is not audiophile products. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, n_maher said:

This, but mostly because I've already got a pair of 650s which are good enough and sound fantastic with the current dynamic amp, veil be damned.

I've always thought that was a terrible description of the HD 650. Even those that used the term "veiled" talk about the great resolution of the 650. Well, which is it? Veiled would tend to describe a sound that blocks certain dynamics, and I've never seen the 650 given negative marks for dynamics. I think the whole thing started when the 650 came out and was more bass oriented than the 600 predecessor. Some idiot described that as veiled, and it stuck. I happen to prefer the less bass oriented 580/600, but the 650 is an excellent pair of headphones that gives up nothing in dynamics as compared to the 580/600. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, swt61 said:

I've always thought that was a terrible description of the HD 650. Even those that used the term "veiled" talk about the great resolution of the 650. Well, which is it? Veiled would tend to describe a sound that blocks certain dynamics, and I've never seen the 650 given negative marks for dynamics. I think the whole thing started when the 650 came out and was more bass oriented than the 600 predecessor. Some idiot described that as veiled, and it stuck. I happen to prefer the less bass oriented 580/600, but the 650 is an excellent pair of headphones that gives up nothing in dynamics as compared to the 580/600. 

No, I remember even before , the HD600 was considered veiled unless you amped it properly . I don't consider one more veiled than the other . 

• Like 2