Audeze LCD-2

Smeggy

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time someone listens to an HE5 a kitty dies.

And damn, I hate this thread now.

Not to discount Colin at all, but it is just one mans opinion. Others including Wayne have loved them. I myself am excited by some of the brief impressions. It seems to be down to signature preference from what I'm reading.

Not to discount Colin at all, but it is just one mans opinion. Others including Wayne have loved them. I myself am excited by some of the brief impressions. It seems to be down to signature preference from what I'm reading.

Doesnt discount me at all. The whole meet seemed pretty split about which they preferred. Everything about this hobby really is down to personal preference, I have just stated mine here. You are all free to disagree with that. I also have no idea what rigs other people were using, and I didnt try the two of them on a wide range of rigs either. I know there was someone walking around comparing the two out of an imod-portable amp.

FWIW I too preferred the HE5 and not by a small margin. The LCD-2 is not a headphone that I'd want to own, it's soundstage and presentation were just weird to my ears. Diffuse, unfocused and with some odd mid-range push on top of the fact that they were heavy and have quite possibly the largest pads known to man.

and have quite possibly the largest pads known to man.

I thought that was Rosie O' Donnell.

Diffuse, unfocused and with some odd mid-range push on top of the fact that they were heavy
Sounds exactly like a vintage undamped ortho, especially if you include Colin's comments about it being bassy and muddy sounding.

I am keeping the pair you heard.

Way cool. O0

FWIW I too preferred the HE5 and not by a small margin. The LCD-2 is not a headphone that I'd want to own, it's soundstage and presentation were just weird to my ears. Diffuse, unfocused and with some odd mid-range push on top of the fact that they were heavy

Well this is the thing with ortho manufacturers...they just don't know how to damp their own headphones..and this isn't an isolated case it is the problem with 95% of the vintage orthos. Horrible damping schemes.. The HE-5 in its current avatar of no damping does an incredible job but has certain flwas that I would like to address if I were to buy it for keeps..mainly that mildly nasty peak in the mids which gets sibilant with certain female vocals.

and have quite possibly the largest pads known to man.

Wonder why they did that..Those cups look ginormous..I do wish they'd just sell their drivers to us. Also doesn't look like they have changed the cable from what they had on the LCD-1..or is it actually smaller in dimension?

Doesnt discount me at all. The whole meet seemed pretty split about which they preferred. Everything about this hobby really is down to personal preference, I have just stated mine here. You are all free to disagree with that. I also have no idea what rigs other people were using, and I didnt try the two of them on a wide range of rigs either. I know there was someone walking around comparing the two out of an imod-portable amp.

That was me, I was using my Imod,Lorracco PRII with ad744 mod,which drove ethier phone supprissingly well.

The crowd was divided on which headphone they preffered.

Now these are meet condition impressions.I preffered the LCd2s over the HE5s

The HE5s had a bigger headstage ,good detail alittle on the bright side/thinner sounding then the LCd2.The Hd800 came to mind when listening to the HE5.

The Lcd2 with the leather pads had a little more body to it,Annie Lenox's voice was more holographic,Headstage not as big as the HE5 more like a Grado but bigger.

Bass was a little muddy on the LCD 2 /But the annie Lenox album

Bare the bass is muddy on the recording.

The Lcd2 with the Hybrid pads Velour/leather lost some of the holographic

body to annie Lenox's Voice but the Headstage seemed bigger more in line with the HE5.I compared the two differant pads side by side

Unfortunately the pads are not changeable because of how the LCD2 is built.

I asked Alex if you could buy both pads seperately,you have to order the headphones & specify which pads you want,I would like to see that fixed in the final production LCD2

I thought the LCD5 was more comfortable then the HE5,Others said they had more of a clamping force using the LCD2 with the leather pads as opposed to the velour/leather Hybrids I did not have this issue.

For the money I think ethier headphone is a bargin,I will

be borrowing a HE5 in the near future.

These are meet impessions so take them with that in mind.

I will order the LCD2s probably with the leather pads/Alex preffered the Hybrids.

After I spend more time with the HE5s I will decide if I will buy them as well.

I was pretty much convinced to order the LCD-2 from early reports, but now I guess I'll have to wait for comparisons between the two. How do both products compare in terms of build quality? Perhaps Feifei did some sabotage work on the LCD-2 to make them sound worst than the HE-5?

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for all the tips. I will order them if the company ever responds.

Team Planar? What kind? Mine are Maggie 20.1's. I wouldn't trade them for anything!

I doubt they have finalized the LCD-2 yet but it's common courtesy to at least respond...

All your gear makes me jealous, I really want Maggies or some Quad ESLs.:P I'm only referring to my still growing collection of rare vintage 'stat headphones and a couple of orthos. Just bought a pair of AKG K1000 which is the first dynamic headphone I have purchased in around 2 years, and will see how it compares to my planar headphones.