2009 HC Holiday Gift Exchange

Asr

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alright well at this point I think everyone wanting to participate has signed up by now, so the cut-off is right now instead of 11/30.

I've given serious thought to the Secret Santa method since screaming oranges asked about it. IMO half the fun is getting a gift from someone you know (or kinda know at least) and I think I could make it work by boiling the list down into groups of 4-10 people each, instead of doing just 2-way (or even 3-way) Secret Santas. So if no one objects, I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. I intend to subjectively compile the groups but I'll do my best to match up people who know each other of course. :) As a gauge of interest, anyone who's signed up can send me a PM with their mailing address and music gift considerations (be as specific as possible down to artist or even title). I'll update again here in 2 days based on how many PMs I get, if any. If I get no PMs (or just a few), I'll just toss everyone into a randomizer as I was going to do originally.

(See my post #1 for the link to the participant list.)

Alright well at this point I think everyone wanting to participate has signed up by now, so the cut-off is right now instead of 11/30.

I've given serious thought to the Secret Santa method since screaming oranges asked about it. IMO half the fun is getting a gift from someone you know (or kinda know at least) and I think I could make it work by boiling the list down into groups of 4-10 people each, instead of doing just 2-way (or even 3-way) Secret Santas. So if no one objects, I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. I intend to subjectively compile the groups but I'll do my best to match up people who know each other of course. :) As a gauge of interest, anyone who's signed up can send me a PM with their mailing address and music gift considerations (be as specific as possible down to artist or even title). I'll update again here in 2 days based on how many PMs I get, if any. If I get no PMs (or just a few), I'll just toss everyone into a randomizer as I was going to do originally.

(See my post #1 for the link to the participant list.)

Actually I have always liked the gift exchanges as it is a good way to get exposed to music I would not buy for myself. So pairing by musical taste is not necessarily good from my perspective. No problem if I am in the minority, I am still all in.

I have mixed feelings on the subject, so I'll let the community decide.

Pro: I, too, would like to be introduced to random/unheard/whatever music;

Con: I have a very large music collection, so the practical side of me says that whoever is buying from me should probably check for duplicates.

As a compromise, I offer the following suggestion:

Give a list of potential items, let the recipient veto whatever they feel like. It's up to the honor of the recipient not to do too much research if they want to be surprised...or not...(that doesn't need to be a community decision, pairs can do it however they like)...

You can give me Genetic, I think I know his tastes well enough... :evil:

Also, why don't you give it one more day, and PM people who might be interested, but may not check the board as frequently as last year (such as Luminette).

Ok well with hirsch on the list that leaves an odd number of people, so I might as well leave this open for a bit longer. New cut-off will be 5:30 PM MST on 11/19. And I think I'm going to officially call off the Secret Santa now, as I'm guessing the majority doesn't want to do it.

Also, in the event we end up with an odd number of people, anyone want to volunteer gifting two people? If no one volunteers I'll take care of the extra person myself.