The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

I got a ticket :dance:

Postjack - Did Glenn Kotche do the ridiculous drum solo right on top of Via Chicago at the show you went to? That was definitely my favorite part of the show. Also, Nels Cline and the really young guitar player (on they right of the stage at the show here) did this sweet guitar battle thing. Nels Cline is absolutely ridiculous. He's so good :prettyprincess:

Also, they played 4 Woody Guthrie songs since he's from Oklahoma... it was kinda cool I guess.

nope, no ridiculous drum solo, no guitar battle. sounds like you had a great show!

That One Guy, Awesome New Republic, Dark Star Orchestra, Indigenious, Ozomatli, The Wailers, New Mastersounds, Mickey Hart Band, Umphrey's McGee/STS9, The Bad Plus, Antibalas, Thievery Corp, Medieski, Scofield, Martin & Wood, REM, The Lee Boys, Funky Meters, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, Gov't Mule, Ani Difranco, Phil Lesh & Friends

He's awesome. There's a bunch in that list that I really enjoy, and have heard good things about, live, if not seen them for myself) (MMS&W, Bad Plus, Thievery Corp, Ani[!]).

That One Guy was a lot of fun but after 1/2 hour I had enough. MSMW was amazing. Each one of them can play the shit out their instruments. Thievery was better than expected and Ani was mellower than expected.

That One Guy was a lot of fun but after 1/2 hour I had enough. MSMW was amazing. Each one of them can play the shit out their instruments. Thievery was better than expected and Ani was mellower than expected.

ooh, so the S is for scofield, I get it. I bet that was badass. MMW is one of those acts that just gets better and better.

I haven't gone to a concert in years, but the last one that I attended was a Smashing Pumpkins concert with Garbage opening for them. It was one of the loudest concerts that I remember going to.

This was before having kids. I let my wife take my daughter to the Hillary Duff concert ;)

ooh, so the S is for scofield, I get it. I bet that was badass. MMW is one of those acts that just gets better and better.

I've seen mmw a couple of times but this was the best. It's funny, I saw Sco with Phil and Friends a couple of years ago and he was good but seemed out of place for me. With mmw, he was the man. They should call it Scofield, Medeski, Martin and Wood. My new favorite group is the New Mastersounds. They can lay down the funk.

Well, Mike, just so you know. I was officially jealous all weekend. My co-workers who went insisted on calling me every couple hours while I was at work filling in for them just to rub it in. They're all 311 fans, which ain't my cuppa tea, but the rest sounded pretty good.

Well, Mike, just so you know. I was officially jealous all weekend. My co-workers who went insisted on calling me every couple hours while I was at work filling in for them just to rub it in. They're all 311 fans, which ain't my cuppa tea, but the rest sounded pretty good.

I had a couple of friends there as well. They did it the fun way, in an RV in the VIP area. They also ran a 3 camera video setup of a huge percentage of the shows.

Where's Al and John in this thread? John had the nerve to call me while on the way to Keith Jarrett on Sat or Sun or was it Fri (I already blocked it out). Where's the envy smiley?

Given the people in question, these vids won't show up on youtube, and won't be poor :)

Do you have friendly access to copies?

I had a couple of friends there as well. They did it the fun way, in an RV in the VIP area. They also ran a 3 camera video setup of a huge percentage of the shows.

Next year it's an RV. I was in VIP but camping. I had great neighbors so it was cool but I am going RV next year.

Jp and stevieo left me hanging this year. :(

Where's Al and John in this thread? John had the nerve to call me while on the way to Keith Jarrett on Sat or Sun or was it Fri (I already blocked it out). Where's the envy smiley?

Least reliable people on the planet, but I'll try.

Bob Mould with Halou opening. Halou were excellent, in fine form, and Rebecca is gorgeous, charming, has a winning smile, and I can't think of a single sour note she hit. I also think she's a bit of a gearwhore, as she was playing with a Kaoss Pad and sung in at least 3 different mics, one of which is the infamous green bullet:

244368.jpg

She also did a thing where she had two mics, and sang into both of them, at the same time executing an effect. I've seen Laurie Anderson do that, but didn't want to accuse her of being too heavily influenced by any one particular person (I got to talk to her extensively after the show). What was wonderful about it was how smooth she did it. She wasn't doing it to show off, as I doubt anyone but me would have noticed, I suspect she was doing it just to maintain her own interest in what she was doing. I also especially enjoyed the song where two of them were playing ebows at the same time. That's the kind of band they are. There was also a tune where two of them were playing bass, and it wasn't "Big Bottom".

My only complaint is that they played foreshortened versions of at least two or three of the songs, one of them being my favourite. It has this part where they cut down to really quiet, and then start building up again, well, they cut down to really quiet. I mean, really quiet. And just stopped. Ah, well, I've been a fan of theirs for years (since the Bedazzled days), and this was my first time seeing them live, so I'm happy.

Bob Mould is quite good. He's still got it, in terms of charisma, rawkin' ability, and songwriting. Too bad he only has one guitar tone -- don't get me wrong, it's great, I just would like to hear a little bit of variety. At least, for the part of the set that I stuck around for. I got hit on earlier in the evening, so was a little tense (since I was alone), so opted to cut the evening short. On the bright side, I could've gotten laid tonight, if I was into, you know, drunks. Who smoked. And had a penis. I think I stuck around for most of set, since he was doing an early night of it, and was going to start his gay discotheque thingy ("Blowoff", LOL) at 11.

Apparently I missed this one, V. Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock, and Jack DeJohnette, to be exact. Truly one of the best shows I have been to see, and in the top 5 jazz shows for sure.

I'm looking for the envy smiley because I really want to see Bob Mould, although I am not sure what the gay discoteque thingy is all about... ???

Mobile Symphony Orchestra with Joshua Bell

Variations on a Theme by Haydn By Brahms

Prokofiev's 1st Symphony: Classical

Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto (with Joshua Bell)

Fucking great night of music. Bell encored with something from the score of "The Red Violin". The kid is talented as hell and really fun to watch.

My condolences for having to live in montreal. At least it's a good year for the habs, and you can move in the summer.

ROFL, if you're talking about the snow, I can't take it anymore. There's nothing like arriving late to a uni class because of snow even if I allowed 30 more minutes than usual for transport. :rant:

And yes, the Habs rule this year. I just hope they don't pull a "Ottawa Senators" in the playoffs and start choking under pressure.

ROFL, if you're talking about the snow, I can't take it anymore. There's nothing like arriving late to a uni class because of snow even if I allowed 30 more minutes than usual for transport. :rant:

And yes, the Habs rule this year. I just hope they don't pull a "Ottawa Senators" in the playoffs and start choking under pressure.

Dude, I lived in fairbanks, I'm not talking about the snow. I'm talking about the francophones. :)

Anyway, thanks for the goaltender :) We appreciate his assistance.

Dude, I lived in fairbanks, I'm not talking about the snow. I'm talking about the francophones. :)

Did you have bad experiences with French-talking people? I'm francophone and I think we're great people. ;D

Anyway, thanks for the goaltender :) We appreciate his assistance.

I was kind of sad to see him leave. He's a very nice guy, loves talking to journalists and is an excellent goaltender. He wasn't in the long-term plans of the team though. Bob Gainey was criticized a lot for trading him, but it seems like it's paying off finally.