The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

And which ones do you plan on attending in the future?

Myself, I never found time to go to a lot of concerts, but I'm hoping to change that now that I've got time and money. Before I moved to Houston though, I was lucky enough to see Pearl Jam on my last night in the 'Burgh :D Eddie was really feeling the crowd, and went through 2 bottles of wine and played for about 2 and a half hours.

September 11th I finally get to see Tool :dance:

Last show I saw was Rasputina supporting Frustration Plantation last year. I don't have any shows I'm looking forward to. Years of driving a Jeep & a few summers of working front-of-stage security for shows while I was in college has left me with a left ear that doesn't care much for live music. So I have to pick and choose the shows that are important to me to minimize further damage. I love music too much to take any chances.

Last Show: Black Heart Procession/Devics/Castanets -- Devics stole the night, and this was the first time I had heard the Castanets and they were great. BHP was good, but I really liked the Devics.

Next show: Katatonia, maybe (hope so). I may have missed it, but I don't think it's until the end of the month.

Saw bruce hornsby at wolftrap last week.
Wolf Trap? You're in or near VA?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Next week I am seeing Imogen Heap again, looking forward to it. ;)

And it's at Massey Hall, IMO the best concert hall in the Toronto area, though the new Roy Thomson Hall is up there too.

Last concert I was at was Chantal Kreviazuk at the Rehearsal Hall special that was taped & aired on Bravo! I think I'm in the frame for like 1/100th of a second just before the lights go out.

And it's at Massey Hall, IMO the best concert hall in the Toronto area, though the new Roy Thomson Hall is up there too.
Yeah, it is a really nice venue... last time I take seats in 'the gallery' though. So uncomfortable!

The opening act was great, some guy from San Francisco called 'Kid Beyond'... did some absolutley amazing beatbox. His cover of Portishead's 'wandering star' was very cool. ;)

Bruce Hornsby Solo Piano - Keswick Theater, Glenside, PA

Great show. Bruce is quite the entertainer. Most of the show was by request, tho he obviously picked the requests he wanted to do. All the attendees got a copy of his box set, which sells for almost the price of tickets to the show. So it was like buying the box set, and getting a concert for free. In one of the best small theaters in the country.

The last concert I saw was also a bruce show, but with his band at wolftrap in vienna, va this summer. Also a great show.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Wilson with the Wondermints and Al Jardine, performing Pet Sounds, 40th Anniversary Tour

Great show, the wondermints are a very talented band. Al and Brian provided vocals and legitimacy, and I highly recommend it if you can make it. This was also at the Keswick Theater, in Glenside, PA, and remains my favorite venue for music that doesn't require flailing about.

Daylight Dies/Katatonia/Moonspell

Daylight Dies rocked.

Katatonia were perpetually out of tune. 's'too bad, I really like them, and The Great Cold Distance is easily my favourite album of the year, so far.

Moonspell were awesome but...and this is the first time this has happened for me (must be geezin')...I didn't get that endorphine rush of enjoyment that I get at concerts. They sounded great, they were energetic, but it -- and this may have been influenced by the audience of primarily hormone-addled post-teens -- it just seemed kind of juvenile to me. Oh, well, not selling my Moonspell albums just yet.

Oh, last week: Odin's Court/Zero Hour

Odin's Court -- very good prog metal. I thought they were going to steal the show, until the headliner came out.

Zero Hour -- OMG. Bldiddle-diddle-diddlety...they were just unstoppable. If you take every fast lead guitar solo and strung it together, and threw in maybe one or two slow moments, that was Zero Hour. Shredtastic. My jaw was on the floor for the entire show. Combination of technical virtuosity and sheer stamina was mind-numbing. I'm not always in the mood for this kind of music, but shortly into the first song, I had this moment were I was just dumbstruck, and at the end of the night, I realized that that was also the same moment where I was put in the mood. I didn't even have the presence of mind to think whether or not I was in the mood for this or not, I was just blown away...my mind had a great big hole in it, grey matter seeping out the back...

The bassist was the same way, the drummer was tight, the singer did the only thing any singer could do in similar circumstances -- give it everything you got and stay out of the way at the same time.

• 1 month later...