The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Natalie MacMaster at the Living Arts Centre in Mississauga. She broke a string on her violin and then changed the key of the song and finished it before restringing. Did I mention she's cute?

Some dude on guitar at the local pub. I didn't get his name but he was doing some pretty killer Eagles and Police covers.

• 1 month later...

Last fall we saw the California Guitar Trio. Excellent show. They even did a full version of Freebird. After playing it they explained that one of them had been messing around in pre-tour rehearsal playing it, and the other two joined in and they just decided to go with it. It was awesome. Where else can you hear Bach transcriptions for guitar and bloody Skynyrd from the same guys? ;)

On Mar. 17th I'll be seeing Umphrey's McGee in South Bend. Some guy named Adrian Belew is opening for them.... >:D

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Sleepytime Gorilla Museum w/Secret Chiefs 3. SC3 sucked -- they just don't translate well live, or I was in a really bad mood, but SGM were awesome -- I went in mostly cold (had never heard them before except I think there's a track on a sampler, but I knew pretty much what they were like). Recommended only to people who are open-minded and are into weirdness, as this is some pretty fucked up shit. Think Unexpect without the caffeine, or maybe Mr. Bungle from an alternate universe where...I don't know, something is different...a butterfly flapped its wings or sumpin'...

50 cent @ the house of blues on the sunset strip. This was like two months after he released "Get Rich Or Die Tryin." He basically covered the whole album. We were able to stand right up front too.

It was a pretty good show and we didn't get shot either. O0

But some shooting happened after the show on the following night... :police:

I went to see Paul Galbraith last night at NVCC. He played a Bach Cello Suite transcribed for 8-string guitar, a Mozart Piano Sonata and some other piano and folks songs via prominent composers. His encore was a Bach hymn.

Galbraith is one of the most amazing classical musicians I've had the priveledge to see live. it was a small room, no more than 150 people. I sat in the second row and the whole experience was spellbinding. He makes the guitar sound like a piano at times. If he wasn't right in front of me at times I would swear there was more than one person playing. His technique was brilliant, his musicality inspiring.

He's coming to a larger venue called WolfTrap in VA soon, I am definitely going to attend that if I can.

He has a few recording out: Bach Sonatas and Partitats, Bach Lute Suites, Haydn Piano Sonatas and a disc of impressionist music (Debussy, Ravel...etc.). If you love classical guitar and you have not heard Paul Galbraith....you do no know what you are missing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from seeing VNV Nation and And One at the 9:30 Club -- right in the middle of some banter, Ronin said, "don't listen to that guy on Head-Case, he's full of shit." And then a girl who had just turned legal offered to have sex with him after the show, and someone threw him a leprechaun.

"Standing" is still my favourite song by them, but "Genesis" is up there, too. He has such a great voice compared to so many others in the genre (the Arnold-Schwarzeneggar-alike Austrian or German accent is de facto in EBM the same way growling is in metal), and such a great stage presence (he basically carries the show, with lots of help from the drummer, although it would suck if they skimped on the other two synthesists), that they really are great live. And for once, the audience in DC didn't suck! (Usually they just stand around mopeful.)

And One were awesome live, too. They promised to come back next year and play a two-and-a-half hour set. I hope they do, I did not get enough of them by a long shot.

When I'm in the right mood, I really enjoy The Grand Opening and Closing, but I haven't heard any of their other stuff. I can only imagine what their live show must be like.
They're amazing live. Tight as a mosquito's butt. Think Chili Peppers meets Rush meets John Zorn...or think of something else, because I just choked on that one a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GlendaleViper

Reverend Horton heat in less than two weeks, and I can't wait. The guys are exceptional performers (considering the genre) and they tend to have unique and unexpected supporting acts play with them.

Last show was Propagandhi, I think.

Guest GlendaleViper

Dinosaur Jr is playing in my small crappy town of olympia washington this month which I'm looking forward to.

Holy CRAP. Do you know who's opening. If you say Witch, I'll die.

J.Mascis the guitar god headlining J.Mascis the drum god would be too much for me I think.