The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Guest GlendaleViper

yep, and the first album is an excellent effort. He wanted to create a 70's influenced hard rock band in the Doom Metal/Stoner rock vein and, especially, wanted to play drums again. The debut album is highly recommended.

Random. Had a crappy day at work yesterday, got a call from friends on the way to New Orleans to see Bright Eyes, had extra ticket. I don't even like Bright Eyes, but I decided a lonely drive followed by some live music in a cool city would do me good on a Monday. :) Two opening bands, don't remember their names, second was okay. I was hoping seeing Connor Oberst live would help me "get it", but the music just doesn't do it for me. He's earnest enough in his performance: he comes across as a touch arrogant and vulnerable at the same time. But Bright Eyes just gives me that feeling that so much contemporary rock music does: that it has all been done before, and better.

In light of my feelings about "new" rock, I've decided to start working on a list of "newer" bands (by "newer" I mean maybe bands that formed as early as the 90s, but maybe didn't "break out" until after the millenium, but this is a loose definition) whose music I actually enjoy. The label "rock" excludes any death/doom metal or electronic/synthpop/ebm/industrial, because there are a lot of bands in these genres making music today who I love.

My list:

LCD Soundsystem

My Morning Jacket

Thats all I've got so far. Maybe White Stripes.

This just makes me laugh given your other musical preferences :)

heh, well that brings up another point. I can dig almost any band that can kick out a funky groove that makes asses shake, a la any given "jamband". Everytime BE would start to get in a groove they would end the song, I didn't understand. So they'd groove for like 7-10 seconds then end and everyone cheers. I'm like "what the hell are you cheering for". I didn't want to be a dick because my friends were really enjoying themselves. But damn man, come on, I need to dance and share in the universal groove and all that shit.

so on the drive home, after listening to some Phil Collins to help me relax, I put on disc two of "the complete jack johnson sessions", and just listened to the drummer, and shit my pants the entire drive home. so awesome.

heh, well that brings up another point. I can dig almost any band that can kick out a funky groove that makes asses shake, a la any given "jamband". Everytime BE would start to get in a groove they would end the song, I didn't understand. So they'd groove for like 7-10 seconds then end and everyone cheers. I'm like "what the hell are you cheering for". I didn't want to be a dick because my friends were really enjoying themselves. But damn man, come on, I need to dance and share in the universal groove and all that shit.

so on the drive home, after listening to some Phil Collins to help me relax, I put on disc two of "the complete jack johnson sessions", and just listened to the drummer, and shit my pants the entire drive home. so awesome.

So, a lot of something rehashed, repetative, and not terribly interesting: good

A little of something rehashed but not so repetitive: bad

O0

Random. Had a crappy day at work yesterday, got a call from friends on the way to New Orleans to see Bright Eyes, had extra ticket. I don't even like Bright Eyes, but I decided a lonely drive followed by some live music in a cool city would do me good on a Monday. :) Two opening bands, don't remember their names, second was okay. I was hoping seeing Connor Oberst live would help me "get it", but the music just doesn't do it for me. He's earnest enough in his performance: he comes across as a touch arrogant and vulnerable at the same time. But Bright Eyes just gives me that feeling that so much contemporary rock music does: that it has all been done before, and better.

In light of my feelings about "new" rock, I've decided to start working on a list of "newer" bands (by "newer" I mean maybe bands that formed as early as the 90s, but maybe didn't "break out" until after the millenium, but this is a loose definition) whose music I actually enjoy. The label "rock" excludes any death/doom metal or electronic/synthpop/ebm/industrial, because there are a lot of bands in these genres making music today who I love.

My list:

LCD Soundsystem

My Morning Jacket

Thats all I've got so far. Maybe White Stripes.

1. you must have been living under a rock the last decade

2. mentioning the white stripes in the same sentence as my morning jacket is a sin

:P

Guest GlendaleViper

Decided last night that I can't make it out to see Rev. Horton Heat on Thursday... and on top of it all, I can't afford to go see Ween in Montreal in June. Overall, a bad week for a concert goer. >:(

I can't afford to go see Ween in Montreal in June.

i'm in the mood to move to the left 3 feet goddammit.

i'm in the mood to slide to the right hundred feet goddammit.

i'm in the mood to fall down the steps 4 flights goddammit.

i'm in the mood to fly in the air 12 feet muthafuck.

there was a time in my life when i thought ween was the greatest band to ever play music...

Guest GlendaleViper
there was a time in my life when i thought ween was the greatest band to ever play music...

What happened? Stop taking drugs? Actually, if you haven't heard them in a while (that song you quoted is OOOOLLLLLDDDD) then check out some of their later releases. They've progressed into a fantastic stage show and make just plain good music. Deliberately derivative much of the time, but really quite good.

What happened? Stop taking drugs?

Bingo. :D

I've heard/owned all of Ween's albums up through Quebec, I still think its great stuff. Its just not as much fun since I'm not fucked up all the time now.

Hearing "Poopship Destroyer" is still one of my favorite live music moments. :)