The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Android Lust w/Mankind Is Obsolete -- lead singer of mko is hawt; sound was awful, but could tell they were doing interesting things, so bought their CDs...AL -- couldn't hear the guitarist enough, other than that it was great. Crowd was too small, though -- you know it's bad when you make more noise than everyone else...combined. Bassist & drummer were groovy as hell, & the guitarist was a madman.

The LA Philharmonic playing Tchaikovsky, ending it with the 1812 Overture with cannons and fireworks. The USC marching band also came out near the end, but I doubt anyone payed an attention to them because of the fireworks. The conductor was very charismatic as he was busting jokes left and right between each piece. Overall, it was very nice. I'm getting better seats next time, though. I chose cheap seats and found myself surrounded by Asians and their awfully loud kids. :chair:

We just returned from seeing The Kelly Bell Band: Phat Blues. These guys were very good, especially the keyboardist and the bass player (played a seven string bass). They are out of Baltimore and if any of you DC area folks get a chance, check them out. you can see their upcoming show schedule HERE. Here's a shitty camera phone picture

2a847bef.jpg

The best part was the whole family went and Peter had a great time. He's the one on the right who is quite out of focus.

I went to this summer festival in Portugal specially to see flaming lips and I must say it was intense!

The visual show was the best I haver seen, totally insane.. The guy walked between the crowd inside a ball , got giant laser hand and.. As you can guess I had a blast.

4952288839_794daebd8a_o.jpg

4915971501_770933e8a3_z.jpg

4555977633_251bd909e0_z.jpg

4823527259_e9aaf14e43_z.jpg

Edited by Spychedelic Whale

• 3 weeks later...
Awesome, like i posted that was my last concert last summer, they are in rare form, I think Trey is sober. Absolutely amazing, I have already downloaded six 24/48 "High Definition" shows from livephish.com this month/June 2010 shows. I will probably download one of the shows your at. Please post which one is the best!

Man, can't believe I missed somebody on HC who actually cares about my Phish shows. :)

July 1st was special because I got my first Llama and my first Roses Are Free. Painting the picture for you, we left Mobile, AL on Wednesday at 11pm, drove through the night to Raleigh, NC (14 hours), crashed for a couple hours in the hotel room, then hit up the show. Not ashamed to admit I teared up a bit when Roses Are Free started. Easily one of my favorite songs of all time. The rest of the show was great, pretty chill summer shed show to kick off the southern leg.

July 2nd was the rock show, and even with all the badassness of the upcoming July 4th show I find myself returning to this one the most. Buried Alive kicked things off, which let us all know tonight would be zero fucking around. Good first set, closing with an absolutely rocking Chalkdust, a song which I generally am weary of, but I threw my back out to this one. However, it was Set II that was the magick:

Set 2: Drowned > 46 Days > Twenty Years Later > The Lizards, Carini > Fuck Your Face > Also Sprach Zarathustra > You Enjoy Myself

Rock rock rock rock, right up through Carini, into FUCK YOUR FACE, last time played April 29th 1987 (1,413 shows). It was that special kind of bust out (in fact the biggest bust out in Phish history, in terms of show gap) where nobody knew what the hell was going on until Gordon muttered "this guitar is going to fuck your face" and minds proceeded to be lost. The 2001 > YEM was outstanding, including a really special ambient moment during YEM, which included acapella Proud Mary, LTP 3/1/2003 (I was at that show).

Phish - 7/2/10 "You Enjoy Myself" on Vimeo

July 3rd was the chill out show, July 4th the tour closing bust out spectacular, including an unbelievable Harpua, which included a scorching cover of Rage's "Killing in the Name Of". Said Trey during the Harpua dialogue before KITNO, "...a song from the only other band besides Phish that won't bullshit you." :D

Set 1: The Star Spangled Banner, Punch You In the Eye > Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird, Camel Walk, Ocelot, Heavy Things > My Friend, My Friend > Lawn Boy, David Bowie, Gotta Jibboo

Set 2: Down with Disease > Piper > Ghost > Waste, Julius > Mike's Song > Tela, Harpua[1] > Killing in the Name[2] > Harpua > Weekapaug Groove

Encore: First Tube

My first Forbins > Mockingbird (Forbins being my most chased song), first Camel Walk, first Tela, first Harpua. Easily the most statistically satisfying show I've seen.

the best parts to listen to are 2nd set July 2nd, and 2nd set July 4th.

nice concerts posty

Still have to see Drive By Truckers one day

its a good live show. they've definitely calmed down a bit since Isbell left the band, at least in their delivery, but the playing is on point, and the songs are just fantastic. Personally I still think Dirty South was their last truly great album. The releases since then have been good, but not Dirty South good, and certainly not Southern Rock Opera good, but obviously that is their opus and will never be topped.

Ronnie and Neal just popped in my head, reminding me I'm seeing Neil Young and Allen Toussaint in about 5 hours. :)