The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Best I've ever seen them live, so amazing. Got to shake Bela and Victor's hands after the show.

One thing that is appealing about these guys is that they are all gods of their respective instruments, but they all share a real, true humility that is just so attractive. The show was small, probably not a big money maker, but they still took the time to come into the crowd afterwards and sign autographs and take pictures with everyone until the crowd cleared out. :)

I just hope they keep playing and touring until they are like, 100 years old.

• 1 month later...

just got back from seeing the symphony at an outdoor amphitheater down at the beach. lots of crowd pleasing type americana and scottish/irish riverdance type music. and fireworks! :) it was a lot of fun.

also fred thompson was there. which was really weird. they showed one of his campaign ads or whatever on the big screen, then he stood up and they shined a spotlight on him. i was like, JUST watching him on the tnt law & order marathon before I left for the concert. weird.

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday Night -- Crack the Sky -- they rocked. Were having an off night, but they still managed to rock.

Friday Night -- High Blue Star, Red This Ever, and Attrition (25 year anniversary tour) -- High Blue Star, in particular, blew me away. Attrition -- like the Young Gods and others of similar ilk -- have become a trance band. Laurie sang with them, she's a very powerful singer.

I really need to get my shit together and start doing this shit myself.

Well, they're still interesting -- not trance trance, like ... I dunno, pick some techno compilation of Trance Traxx -- but...yeah, pretty much. They went psychedelic for a while (forecasting the change in the weather with tracks like "Moon Revolutions"...and then Second Nature is pretty much a trance record with vocals. Tracks like "Lucidogen" are still very good, but nothing like ...Plays Kurt Weil or T.V. Sky and/or Only Heaven, my favourite two albums by them.

Last night I saw RUSH at the Coors Amphitheatre in Chula Vista. Great show as usual, but the band looked tried compared to the Los Angeles show at the Hollywood Bowl. My 13th row dead-center seat was incredible, yet I still managed to move up a few rows to the 4th row and believe it or not six seats to my right stood my Products Liability Professor--strange to see him rocking and knowing the words. Had an excellent time--got my RUSH fix.

The next band I am very excited to see is Jethro Tull!

Rush are amazing live. Jethro Tull are great, too. You going to any of the Genesis dates? Seems like you'd like them. I could be wrong, though.

I think Rush is getting better with age too and they seem to enjoy playing together.

Don't own one Genesis album not for any reason, but I've not had much of any exposure to them. What should be my first Genesis CD?