The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Anne Sophie-Mutter with the New York Philharmonic performing Mozart's Violin Concertos 1, 3, & 5, and Wolfgang Rihm's Lichtes Spiel.

I don't know if it was because of where I was sitting (2nd level up towards the back) or the acoustics in general, but I was a bit underwhelmed by her performance. The sound lacked a degree of intensity IMO. Technically she was amazing but I wasn't really "feeling" Mozart from her. I also caught two extremely minor flubs on her part, or at least they seemed like flubs. Fantastic concert though and it was great to finally see her after hearing about her so much.

• 2 weeks later...

The Black Angels With Black Mountain - Clubhouse, AZ

I was surprised to see The Black Angels open for Black Mountain VS the other way around. We bought the tickets presuming that the 'Angels' were headlining. Both bands played great, though I wish the set was longer for the 'Angels'. The Black Angels are a great, great live act.

The sound was a bit off for the first song or two, however, they made the appropriate adjustments and it was dead-on for the rest of the show. They closed with 'Young Men Dead', awesome. I was disappointed that they cut-off the transcending end to 'Yellow Elevator #2' and did not play 'True Believers'. Those are both off their newest release, "Phosphene Dream", which the band played most of that night. Great overall show.

I spoke with lead singer Alex Maas at length after their show and he explained that they were having issues with the live production on the end of 'Elevator #2' and in playing 'True Believers'. According to Maas, Black Mountain has the same booking agent as they do, so he too was not sure why they opened. Oh well. He also indicated that he and the band pleaded with the tour manager to play longer than their opening slot warranted.

Black Mountain's new album sounded really nice live. It sounded much better and livelier than the album. They did not play enough from their self-titled release, though. I like the first two albums better than their newest album.

Overall, I am bigger 'Angels' fan so I would have appreciated another 15-20 minutes of material to their set.

Saw Andre Rieu at Jobing.com Arena with his 55-piece Johann Strauss Orchestra in Glendale, AZ. Traffic was a bear as the MNF game was next door VS the 'Niners but it was well worth it.

rieu4.jpg

rieu7.jpg

rieu6.jpg

rieu.jpg

Amazing atmosphere and music. What a show. If you have the chance to see Andre Rieu, go for it. I have been wanting to see him for a long time. Sorry for the poor quality pictures.

• 1 month later...

Hilary Hahn (violin) & Valentina Lisitsa (piano) playing Tartini, Beethoven, Ives, Bach, & Antheil, here in CO. They were both really good, was a great concert. Hahn's skill was awesome and Lisitsa was almost lyrical on the piano. There were 3 encores too which was an unexpected bonus - 1 solo by Hahn, 1 solo by Lisitsa, and 1 duet with both.

There was an autograph session after the concert so I got to "meet" them too, which was nice considering my seat was too far from the stage to see their faces. Got an autographed copy of Hahn's Bach Concertos. :)

Edited by Asr