The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

I think Rush is getting better with age too and they seem to enjoy playing together.

Don't own one Genesis album not for any reason, but I've not had much of any exposure to them. What should be my first Genesis CD?

Seconds Out is a really good place to start. If you want to start with a studio album, Trick of the Tail would be my recommendation. My favourites are Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme and Selling England by the Pound. ...Lamb... is considered their creative peak, but it would be like getting into Pink Floyd by getting The Wall -- great album, but not indicative of their spacier/space-rockier moments at all (DSOTM, Animals, WYWH, "Echoes", "One of These Days", etc.). Genesis are very accomplished songwriters, with a proggy bent, so that's what you should want to hear, methinky.

Seconds Out is a really good place to start. If you want to start with a studio album, Trick of the Tail would be my recommendation. My favourites are Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme and Selling England by the Pound. ...Lamb... is considered their creative peak, but it would be like getting into Pink Floyd by getting The Wall -- great album, but not indicative of their spacier/space-rockier moments at all (DSOTM, Animals, WYWH, "Echoes", "One of These Days", etc.). Genesis are very accomplished songwriters, with a proggy bent, so that's what you should want to hear, methinky.

I second Seconds Out, its a fantastic live album with lots of great tunes (and it starts with "Squonk"!!!). Studio I'd either start with Selling England By The Pound or Foxtrot.

But then when you are ready for the REAL intense Genesis, check out Abacab or their self-titled. Some folks can't handle the Collins/Banks/Rutherford three headed 80s single-cranking juggernaut though, i.e. jpak. >:D

I saw Band of Horses two nights ago at the 9:30 Club in DC.

It was meh. I mean the band was tight, and they sounded well enough. But they didn't do anything new, at all. Basically played the album note for note. I usually like it when a band tries a different spin on their old materials in a live set.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks, Dusty Chalk and postjack for the Genesis album suggestions. i'll probably hit the cd trader this weekend and select one for a listen. ;D

shit i went to the CD trader on Sunday and completely forgot about getting anything from Genesis, though, i was rushing it.

tonight my wife and I are going to see Cirque Du Soleil's Corteo.

saw joshua bell and mozart's requiem performed by the Mostly Mozart House Orchestra

Joshua was friggin great, Requiem wasnt so great. Made me very sad that requiem wasnt that great

he'll be coming to mobile to play with the symphony. My buddy does percussion with them, so he can get me comps. :angel: