The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

It was painful to watch him walk stooped over at the waist, but once he started to blow you forgot he seemed frail. The first song (D. Cherry) was a little rough -- as Mikey said it, he so far outclassed his band that it is understandable -- but the second song (Patanjali) was epic and he blew like mad for at least 10 straight minutes. When he did St. Thomas from Saxophone Colossus I felt like that was my money's worth in one song. It was also cool to see Bob Cranshaw on bass. The short review here gives a little more flavor of the show: http://www.examiner.com/article/sonny-rollins-honors-the-past-at-davies-symphony-hall

Glad you guys enjoyed the concert!

I've seen Sonny several times over the last 12 years or so and he's always done that bent over, flopping his feet as he shuffles around the stage thing. It does seem like the stoop is more pronounced now though.

I went to Coast Recorders (what the 1340 Mission St studio is called now). It was a live recording of Jacqui Naylor and band for an (upcoming of course) album called the "Dead Diva's Society" (or something like that).

It was recorded live with an audience in one of the best sounding tracking rooms in SF. The room was designed by one of my personal hero's Bill Putnam, and except for the sound engineers and players who've recorded in that room, it is a rare treat to be inside a world class tracking room when everything is tweaked and the music is being recorded.

How did it sound? Amazing!

Of course, the vocals were perfect and detailed. But it was the sound of the band that was shocking.

The drums could sound as small or a big as the drummer wanted and those transients! Wow!

The bass line was super distinct and even though everything was fighting over the 200Hz region, the sound never got muddy (which is rare).

The piano/B3 organ cut right through.

I think most of us have heard one or two of these things in recordings or live concerts, but to have all of them in perfect balance.

Memorable!

The music? Jacqui sang some great songs made famous by gals like Sarah Vaughn and Ella. She stood about 10 feet from me and I thought that she was singing directly to me until I realized that her mom was sitting right in front of me. There goes that ego trip!

I can't wait to hear the files (recorded in ProTools) and the finished cd. I'll should be able to pick out my cough!

It was painful to watch him walk stooped over at the waist, but once he started to blow you forgot he seemed frail. The first song (D. Cherry) was a little rough -- as Mikey said it, he so far outclassed his band that it is understandable -- but the second song (Patanjali) was epic and he blew like mad for at least 10 straight minutes. When he did St. Thomas from Saxophone Colossus I felt like that was my money's worth in one song. It was also cool to see Bob Cranshaw on bass. The short review here gives a little more flavor of the show: http://www.examiner....s-symphony-hall

^^ this

Regina Spektor was wonderful. She played every song I wanted her to, and I was surprised how much I wanted to hear "Ballad of a Politician" -- I actually know more words to that song than to any other. I actually breathed a sigh of relief after that song -- the rest of the concert was just gravy, but was no less enjoyable for it.

Also:

Random Audience Member #1: "I love you!"

Random Audience Member #2 from clear across the other side of the auditorium: "I love you more!"

Regina: "I love you, Baltimore!"

Everyone, together: (groan)

Also:

Random Audience Member #3: (something, incomprehensible)

Regina: "What?"

Seriously, she asked the random shouting audience member to repeat themselves.

• Like 1

On Friday, I saw Branford Marsalis play solo for the first time ever supposedly. It was at Grace Cathedral in SF and he alternated between tenor, alto and soprano sax almost every song, and ranged from standards to classical to complete freeform. Very cool, and one of the best uses of the 7-second delay front to back in the church that I have heard.

While on vacation I went to opening night for the Atlanta Symphony. They had violinist Midori as a special guest. She performed Beethoven's Violin Concerto and was amazing to watch. The second half of the show was Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony. They did an outstanding performance. It was the first time my wife had been to a symphony show and she loved it. She could not keep her eyes of Midori during her performance. Best live show I have seen in years.

The band was excellent and John was in good form. Unfortunately, after the Crazy Horse show a couple weeks ago and this show tonight, I'm about to give up going to concerts in Chicago. We seem to constantly be surrounded by people who spend the entire fucking show talking at the top of their lungs about whatever mundane fucking horseshit they think is important in their pissant little lives. We asked one pair if they would shut up, but there were probably 10 more people around us yacking away. It seems to happen all the time now and most people don't seem to care. But if I'm paying $100 for tickets, $20 for parking and another $40 for drinks, I want to hear the fucking band.

/rant

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We went to the gala opening of the SFJazz Center last night and saw an incredible lineup of jazz legends and current stars.  McCoy Tyner, Bobby Hutcherson, Chick Corea, John Handy, Mary Stallings, Joshua Redman, Esperanza Spalding, Bill Frissell, Eric Harland, Brad Meldau, Pete Escovedo, Avishai Cohen, Joe Lovano, Stefan Harris, SFJazz Collective, etc etc etc.  I wanted to take a picture of the program so you can see it all in print, but you can actually listen to the whole concert that was streamed on NPR Music last night.  Here is the link and the sound isn't half bad:  http://www.npr.org/event/music/169066093/live-from-sfjazz-center-opening.  The emcee was Bill Cosby, and his banter is on the recording as well. Enjoy