The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Just got back from La Boheme at the Lyric Opera in Chicago. We had originally purchased tickets for this because Angela Gheorghiu was set to play Mimi. Both the wife and I adore her voice and really wanted to see her. Well, apparently she is quite the Diva - missing rehearsals, leaving town in violation of her contract. So the Lyric fired her. Her stand-in took the spot. She wasn't bad but was not Gheorghiu. But I really don't blame the Lyric either. And hell, any night at the Lyric Opera is a pretty good night.

I read about that in the newspaper. Apparently the Chicago Lyric is being applauded as most opera houses are trying to stay away from the diva mindset that has dominated opera in previous years. Today's audience expects more from their opera stars than just standing there and singing. They need to act and be able to move and dance. That requires hard work, and diva like behavior from someone like Gheorghiu will no longer be tolerated by opera houses. The Chicao Lyric essentially was making a statement, saying they could care less who you are, you need to make all rehearsals and work your butt off if you want to perform there. In the long-term, this will be for the best.

I read about that in the newspaper. Apparently the Chicago Lyric is being applauded as most opera houses are trying to stay away from the diva mindset that has dominated opera in previous years. Today's audience expects more from their opera stars than just standing there and singing. They need to act and be able to move and dance. That requires hard work, and diva like behavior from someone like Gheorghiu will no longer be tolerated by opera houses. The Chicao Lyric essentially was making a statement, saying they could care less who you are, you need to make all rehearsals and work your butt off if you want to perform there. In the long-term, this will be for the best.

And I don't disagree with their action. But I truly did miss hearing her as Mimi. :'(

Brian Medlhau Trio and Joshua Redman Trio double bill. Medlhau seemed to just be messing around and played a bunch of stuff for the first time. Some was great (Sufjan Steven's Holland for example), but it meandered occasionally. Redman was just totally explosive and I really want his new cd now.

Ryan Adams & The Cardinals / Saenger Theatre / Mobile, AL

This was my first time seeing Ryan Adams, and him and the band put on a great show. It was WAY jammier then I thought it would be. They came out and a did a 30 minute non stop threefer to open, one song right into another. Just about every song he stretched out into a bizarre sonic jam, he is definitely going through a Grateful Dead phase. His noodly guitar tones make him sound like Jerry Jr., and I of course absolutely loved it, though one of my friends described it as "excruciating" :D. Jamming aside, the song playing was super tight, the whole band was spot on.

Apparently Ryan has had a number of meltdowns this tour. In Texas he stormed off stage during the encore because something was wrong with the monitors. In Birmingham, the fans wouldn't stop screaming out song requests, so he cut the set short and walked off stage, and so the fans egged his bus. So in Mobile, things were getting a bit tense when a few drunkies were screaming out songs they wanted to hear, much to the chagrin of other fans shushing them and screaming "shut the fuck up". Finally some girl in the balcony screamed "ryan please play Wonderwall, please Ryan!!" (and yes he does do a fucking fantastic version of that song), and that pushed Ryan over the edge. I'll paraphrase his little lecture he gave the crowd:

"Ohh, looks like its going to be one of those nights. Definitely just one set tonight. You know, people spend so much time predetermining the show, that once they get to the fucking show they forget to listen to the show. You're like fucking bingo players, and you've got your chip and you are just waiting, just waiting for your number to be called out, and your waiting so long that you forget to actually enjoy the concert. Well I don't think art works that way. <pause while he calmed down> Having said that, we do come bearing gifts! And if you just sit back and relax, they will open unto you like a beautiful fucking vaginal flower."

Yes, a beautiful fucking vaginal flower. I just about shit. :D

But he did play a full set for a good two hours. Right after he ended the last song in set I, he went on "This is the part where we all pretend to go backstage and you all cheer then we come back out and play the encore." But instead of going backstage the whole band laid down in a big pile in the middle of the stage while everyone cheered. Then they got up and played the encore, which was about another half hour.

Bottom line they really turned it out. My respect for Ryan Adams and especially the Cardinals has definitely increased. If I could quit my job and just follow them around the country I would. :)

He didn't used to, then he spent a few months on the road with Phil Lesh, former bassist from the Grateful Dead.

Ohh, I didnt know it was because of Lesh!

you should have requested Bryan Adams songs, i hear he hates that :)

If hating it means getting punched in the face. ;)

And putting this thread back on topic, Jens Lekman at Webster Hall (I hate that place) this sat!

• 2 weeks later...