The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

I absolutely agree, Steve, and I always try to see the greats -- especially if I have not seen them play live before.  I would have loved to have seen Oscar Peterson even if he were not at his height of mental capacity or playing.  I saw Dewey Redman about a month before he died, Dave Brubeck less than a year before, and Jim Hall a couple of years.  McCoy doesn't seem like he is on his last legs but he was visibly changed from his performance exactly two years ago to open SF Jazz.  

• 1 month later...

On Sunday I've been to Steve Hackett's concert in Rio promoting the Genesis Revisited II album. It was a truly unforgettable experience! The whole band was great, Hackett is as good as he's ever been and The Musical Box and Supper's Ready were utterly unbelievable. Plus, they've played some songs that aren't in the album, such as Squonk, Firth of Fifth and I Know What I Like!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This will be worth the money. http://www.lollapalooza.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/lolla-2015-chicago-lineup.pdf

Best #1 and #2 headliner combo they've had since we started going.

I saw Paul McCartney twice last year, its a really fantastic show. You will be satisfied. And Metallica never disappoints.

Lots of other great acts on that lineup. Don't miss Flying Lotus!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We've attended this evening the concert by Joshua Bell playing with the National Orchestra of Spain (ONE) conducted by Dima Slobodeniouk. The program included a "Meditation" by Tchaikovsky and Glazunov's violin concerto. Bell isn't one of my favourite violinists but I was very interested in listening live to his Stradivarius which has a funny story behind: http://www.joshuabell.com/story-his-violinThat instrument sounds truly amazing, we got 6th row seats to be able to hear it cleanly. The tone of the treble notes is so smooth and clear, yet loud and forceful. It's been a delight attending this concert.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Gov't Mule in New Orleans two weekends ago. It was 'aight. I still think Warren is great but I think I've hit an age where Mule just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Next night saw The Metermen at the Joy Theater in New Orleans. This is the George Porter Jr, Leo, Zig, and Page McConnell (from Phish) so basically its the original Meters less art neville add page. This was a really great show, as The Metermen always are. Sitins from Warren Haynes and Eric Krasno were a treat. 

Up next: Bonnaroo!! 

That would be appreciated!

I know I like High on Fire, too, curious what they're like live.

I have seen High on Fire, it was probably 5-6 years ago though, they opened for Opeth. I enjoyed it, pretty much straight ahead aggressive metal live show though, nothing super distinctive IMO, but having said that I'm not super familiar with their music. Quite the contrast with the grace and fluidity of Opeth. This was the Watershed tour.