The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Saw them at the Tampa Theater, I think I was there with Matt, Gene and I forget who else.  Great time!

Leave for Vail Saturday morning and just found out that JJ Grey & Mofro and Nicki Bluhm and the Gramblers are playing that night in Vail Village which is where I am staying.  Just being able to ski would have been enough, this is an added bonus.

• Like 2

Saw Hilary Hahn last night with the Philadelphia Orchestra.  My vantage:
12301617_10208344321785150_1748164953697

From my lonely chair:

12348064_10208344362266162_5635914718853

The Firebird opening had bass that was just sublime...doublebass, even:

12360026_10208345138045556_1499996409880

(Don't have any pictures of her, you know what she looks like.  She was wearing a very sparkly tiara/headress thingy -- I think they were real diamonds.
EDIT:  And clothes.  I didn't mean to make it sound like she wasn't wearing anything else.)

• Like 8

It's pretty wonderful -- I've seen quite a bit of classical music there, as well as Bryan Ferry and...I forget who else.  I used to live just a couple miles from it.  I rank it right up there with Kennedy Center in terms of acoustics -- they're different, there's more bloom in this one, but it still sounds completely natural.  Would love to see someone really high-fi like Dead Can Dance or Big Big Train here.

The show was awesome Chris. An opening set of his solo work, followed by a second set of Gabriel era Genesis stuff. After the Ordeal, Cinema Show, Musical Box and more. The encore was another solo piece followed by an excellent version of Firth of Fifth. Great band, decent vocalist and Hackett was very much on his game as far a guitar was concerned. I left fully satisfied that I had seen a show that was the closest I would ever get to seeing Genesis in the '70's.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

70,000 tons of metal was insanely good. Great concerts, great people, and partying with rock stars. On a boat. I got drunk a fair bit and didn't sleep much. I'll post video later of Alaric crowdsurfing in the hot tub mosh pit during Hammerfall's set. The dad of the year awards committee might not like it much, but he had so much fun.

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Last Saturday I went to the Other Minds 21 Festival at SFJazz.

An evening of wonderful cutting edge music.

My fav was a suite by Canadian composer Nicole Lizee. David Lynch Etudes is a multimedia piece and I believe it was the premier. Mind bending and borderline scary!

Here's a sample of one of her earlier suites with Hitchcock as the subject (I'm totally diggin all her stuff!).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Next weekend (Fri/Sat) I'll be lending a hand at;

Electroacoustics Festival 2016. My school is pretty big on experimental music and this is the second year Foothill College is hosting this.

I'll be recording this year (board to laptop and surround mic to portable recorder) so it's a step up from running the concession stand.

So, if you're in the Bay Area and enjoy being challenged by something new, come by and check it out.

http://www.electroacoustica.org/

• Like 2

Hiromi -- she's my idol, I love everything she does.  I love her polyrhythms and her syncopations and her odd time signatures, and her flashy aggressive playing, but then she'll play something soft and delicate with just as deft a touch...and smiling at the audience or singing along with her bad self, or just having fun, all at the same time.

• Like 2