The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

13012603_10209501219586872_4181991123428

My vantage tonight, seeing Hilary Hahn.  I could have taken the 'leper colony' seats, again, but decided to chance it.  It was fine.  The young lady next to me didn't take her shit out of my seat when I got there, but there was no-one on the other side of me, and it was kind of a bench, so I sat between two seats, sort of.  It was fine at first, but I was sitting right on the seam, so it got kinda old.  At the intermission I was going to ask her to keep her shit, but they never returned, so no problems on either side of me for the rest of the show.

She played a solo violin piece that one of her patrons had commissioned for her that was just fantastic.  Show opened with the first part of that, then it was her and the pianist Cory Smyth playing Mozart, then she played the second part of the new piece, intermission, third part, then the pianist returned for a Sonata by Copland.  This was a much more Hilary-centric concert than the last one, so I was happy.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The concert was great, and if you're familiar with Buckethead, you know what to expect -- lots of beat-driven wanking, nunchucks, lots of wanking without beats, he handed out toys out of a big santa-sized bag at one point, some bass ganks...he's largely a Les Paul player, and he has his mostly white -- white body, white pickups, white headstock, white knobs except some... the pickup switch on the upper horn is red, and one of the knobs is red...it took me a minute to figure it out...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls98pw1xQv1qmm47qo1_500.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful little underground concert tonight.  Went to see Bent Knee CD release party (they're from Boston, but got signed to Cuneiform, a DC prog label), got introduced to a couple of indie bands I now like.  But back to Bent Knee -- oh, my were they fantastic.  Proggy.  Very proggy.  So much proggy.  Wow proggy.  Harsh transitions, they'll be playing one thing at one moment, then take a hard 90 degree turn and be playing something entirely orthogonal the next.  Lots of spacey, lots of pastoral, lots of rock, all shaken and stirred into a glorious cocktail of music.

I think I might have to go up to upper Baltimore tomorrow night to see them again.  They were that good.

And a cover (I am sitting here giggling over how great this music is):

And also I need to figure out if the bassist really dug me.  (She introduced herself to me.)  I definitely dug her.   Or perhaps she was just high, check her out, playing this shit seriously.

And the lead singer has this weird little vibrato to her voice that I kinda really dig

• Like 1

Went again, tonight.  Even better -- they played a longer set, the music room to breathe...I am in heaven.  I was giggling again with how good it was.  Alas, Melissa and company were surrounded by admirers, so I think my profile wasn't as high as the previous day, when I pretty much had her undivided attention.

Oh well.  Still dig  her.

That said, I got to meet the rest of the band -- Courtney, lead singer, keyboardist, magician with reverb; Ben, lead guitarist -- quite the character, tried to be entertaining, enjoyed awkwardly failing.  Example: when he signed my CD, he wrote "slipped on a dog", he said, "because that's funny", I said, "not to the dog", so he wrote, "the dog was fine".  Couldn't stop giggling.

...also Gavin the drummer, Chris, and Vince.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...