The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

• 3 weeks later...

I will admit, I got a bit excited when Slash had a long Godfather Theme riff right into Sweet Child of Mine. Some of the best guitar playing I have ever seen live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuck, then right into the Star Spangled Banner. Fucking awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Of course Brent found the video immediately.  Not the best recording, or seats, but I think if you look hard you can see me way off to the left by the stage.  I am wearing my Rare Barrel hat.

• Like 1

John Carpenter -- it was basically 75 minutes of this:

...with some footage from the movies during the movie songs, and fancy lighting during the tracks from Lost Themes I & II.

It was heaven -- love synthesizers and guitars together, and instrumental music is teh bestest.

He dances like my mom, though, so that was kind of distracting.

Oh, and he threw in some trivia here and there ("I did 5 movies with this guy, but I don't think we ever had as much fun as when we did this one:  Big Trouble.")  And they false started They Live -- stopped, all put on sunglasses, continued -- so I did, too.

Yeah, that was fun.

The Mystery Lights -- they rock so hard.  The lead singer/guitarist in particular is pretty wild.  They only played one song that I didn't know that wasn't from the album, but several other members of the audience seemed to know it, so it must be an older number.  I can't wait until they develop more of a repertoire so they can do a longer show.  They did jam a bit, though, especially when they were having technical difficulties, which almost made me wish they had more technical difficulties.  And the dufus photographer planted himself in front of me towards the end of the set and started thrust dancing in front of me and started backing into me which kind of ruined the moment so I shouldered him (I was drenched with sweat from the small walk from the Metro stop) later.  Didn't make me feel any better, but hopefully he'll read my post on Facebook (I posted to the event, I think) and get the message.

Left part way through Night Beats -- not because they weren't any good, they were great -- but because I'm an old geezer that has to get home by his bedtime.  I will definitely listen to more of them on bandcamp, I definitely liked what I heard.

Although not as much as Mystery Lights, they were the reason I went and I was very happy I did, ultimately.

Yeah, it was pretty fucking amazing.  I like all 3, but kd lang stole the biggest highlights with Helpless and Constant Craving.

Different show, but very similar performances:

The musicians were great, the banter between the self-proclaimed "Sister Wives" was lots of fun, and each performer got to show off a lot, with some great harmonies by 2 or all 3 at a time on many songs.

Two encores, with the second starting off with Patti Smith's People Have The Power.

A great great show, threatened early on by rain, but it cleared before they came on, and even had a nice rainbow as a prelude to their show.

Great entertainment, well worth the see!

• Like 4

Drove out to Calgary on Friday to see Ne Obliviscaris, Black Crown Initiate, and Starkill. The local opener was called Divinity, and they were great. 

Starkill were really fun, melodic death metal.

Black Crown Initiate: very good, talented, not entirely my cup of tea. Technical death metal I guess is their sub-genre.

Ne Obliviscaris - wow, just wow, they were amazing. A six-piece extreme (whatever that means) metal band with jazz influences, epic, moody instrumental breaks, two lead vocalists, and a violin of course. One of the best drummers I've ever seen. I talked to some of them after the show, and they were seriously nice dudes. They're from Australia, and this is their first headline tour of North America. Dusty, you really need to check them out when they play Baltimore on Aug. 2. I have no concert footage, but here's their most recent album.

@Dusty Chalk

Edited by acidbasement
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2016 at 9:58 PM, skullguise said:

Yeah, it was pretty fucking amazing.  I like all 3, but kd lang stole the biggest highlights with Helpless and Constant Craving.

I bought kd lang - Angel With a Lariat, back in '85. I have been a huge fan since then. No one should feel bad about being upstaged by Miss Lang IMO. Pipes like that just don't come along that often. I also dig her chutzpah...Nashville gives her shit about her sexuality. Does she pout and whine? No, she puts out Ingenue, a jazz album that eclipses even her Owen Bradley produced Shadowland (still a favorite of mine).

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...