The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Watching "An Evening With CAKE" in Athens, GA.

One of my favorite bands of all time, and the first time seeing them live. No opener; they're doing two sets. I'm not even taking photos during the show, that's how good it is.
0dae6340d0c9267855cd182e03150ece.jpg

And, the sound guy is bloody fantastic. Top 3 shows I've ever heard, mix wise.

**BRENT**

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Intermission tree giveaway.
ae5047f2650ffacbe725b84ebdf7da18.jpg

**BRENT**

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Time for my annual Monterey Jazz report and this year was a good one.

On the main (Arena) stage Friday night, a tribute to Quincy Jones. 

One of the great things about Monterey is the way artists join together for special sets. This was one of those.

Quincy was introduced by Clint Eastwood (a regular here) and the band was led by Christian McBride. John Clayton conducted a jazz orchestra plus many featured players.

Richard Bona (bass), Dave Crusin (keys), Lewis Nash (drums), Hubert Laws (flute), Alfredo Rodrigues (piano), Valerie Simpson (of Ashford and Simpson fame vocals) and the list could go on and on. 

Amazing set with tunes from Quincy's various albums.

Saturday night Terri Lyne Carrington's Mosaic Project featured Lizz Wright and Valerie Simpson in a finesse vs elemental force duet that was awesome. Carrington's band has a horn player, Ingrid Jensen that was killing. 

Jensen made another appearance with Branford Marsalis Quartet with Kurt Elling. Another awesome set to finish the night.

Sunday included a wonderful commissioned work by Wayne Shorter Quartet with a wind ensemble. 

There were other fantastic Arena acts like Pat Metheny, Celcle McLorin Savant and The Bad Plus Joshua Redmond but what really put this year ahead of many were the artists on the other stages.

Bill Frizell, Christian McBrides Trio, Stanley Cowell, young Joey Alexander's Trio, John Patitucci's Electric Guitar Quartet, Dr Lonnie Smith, Still Dreaming with Joshua Redmond and Brian Blade plus the last band I saw, Joshua Redmond's original Quartet who played stuff from his early days and even a slow, lush version of Stella by Starlight.

Really a memorable year!

• Like 5

I went and saw 4/6 of my favourite recent discovery band, Bent Knee.  Apparently, they don't do weddings, but this guy who was their biggest fan ever got them to play their rehearsal dinner, so they opened the doors to fans after the dinner.

And because they were 4/6, they couldn't do entirely Bent Knee material, but apparently all of the members have their own projects, so I got to see mini sets from all of them.  It was like getting my favourite band deconstructed, and then the deconstructions fleshed out.  It was like someone had dissected a frog, took out all the constituent parts, painted them psychedelic colours, then displayed them in some sort of weird art exhibit, naive to the horror.

It was glorious.  I could tell while I was living it that the event was unique -- not only was this something they had never attempted before, I doubt they would ever attempt it again.  And if they did, it'd be different.

And, yeah, they played some Bent Knee material.  They played some new songs that they had never played before.

I'm on cloud 9...
Oh, and I got to have a moment with Courtney (lead singer) to share our mutual love of Shiina Ringo, and I got to hug Jessica (and Courtney and Ben).  (But I not-so-secretly have a thing for Jessica, so that was specialest.)

Saw Crystal Castles tonight. Fucking amazing, best electronic show I've been to. Edith was great, you can tell the differences in style compared to Alice a lot better in person. She's more dissonant, quieter, but still uber confident. 

• Like 4

Saw Mary Fahl at a nearby church last night.  Incredible show, last time I saw her was 22 years ago when she was with the group October Project.  Such a powerful, emotional, unique voice.

She sang many of her own or October Project compositions, but she also did a wonderful version of Both Sides Now, an Italian aria, Some Enchanted Evening from South Pacific, and La Vie En Rose.  An amazing show, and she told wonderful stories alongside.  Got a nice chat and pic after the show.

TS_MF.jpg

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Today was the first day I didn't wake up and felt like I had to spit out pieces of my broken lung, in fact, I didn't cough anything up all day, so I checked to see if there were any tickets left to the Snarky Puppy concert...there were...although, it was kind of in a weird venue -- the Kennedy Center (I mean, weird for Snarky Puppy) -- and it was labeled "NSO POPS:  Snarky Puppy with the National Symphony Orchestra"...but didn't put a whole lot of thought into it, I've missed Snarky Puppy the last three times they came through town, was just getting desperate to see this creative ensemble...so I went...this was my perspective:

16864606_10212525799999492_6951480649303286653_n.jpg?oh=bf545ecc7e86d4c4b6ec3afad9c295e1&oe=593D3623

Boy am I glad I went.  First North American performance of Sylva, and it was fantastic.  It wasn't just Snarky Puppy's "Concerto for Group and Orchestra", it was still inimitably a Snarky Puppy concert, with the orchestra's parts written by him even though he knew nothing about arranging for Orchestra, but then cleaned up by the conductor so it sounded like he knew what he was doing.  Arranged as a seamless whole.

And funky as...I was tappin' my toe and boppin' my head most of the concert.

And then they played 3 more songs.