The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Nope, but in the booklet, he said he is no longer beholden to the Metropole Orkest -- the orchestra for whom this was originally written, and are on the YouTube videos -- so there is hope.

Oh, and yeah, I love Snarky Puppy, too.  They really do have their own sound, and it's one I like, even though it's not "weird" or "dark" like most of the music I listen to.

And I wanted to add:  the orchestra gave the whole thing a very "big band" flavour to their music, like Miles Davis working with the Gil Evans Orchestra (and I'm talking mostly about the sound, not the music...the music was still quintessentially Snarky Puppy).

• 2 weeks later...

Tommy Emmanuel -- that was fantastic, definitely my thing.  He was asked to describe what he does, and he answered (before his brain had a chance to kick in), "...tell stories without words..." (and his brain said after the fact, that that was actually pretty good).  So yeah, largely instrumental music, some jazz, some blues, some fingerstyle, all great.  Definitely enjoyed the opener, Joe Robinson, too, despite his baby face.  (He was a little less country, and did some cool things with a Gretsch White Falcon Jr. and a strat, so in some ways, he was more "my thing".)  Insta-purchase (and I did -- both of his albums, right there and then).

• Like 2

Yeah, no, I didn't mind, I'm just sorry I cancelled movie night to attend her concert, I probably could still have made it to my friend's house for a shorter movie.  (We don't usually start 'til 9.)

She talked about switching careers to doing standup comedy, because less equipment, and less equipment problems, and then promptly had an equipment problem.  Then she said she only knew two jokes, told one, but then made several others over the course of the evening.

On 3/13/2017 at 2:07 AM, Voltron said:

Brad great. Two encores after the Bach, finishing with a great rendition of How Long Has This Been Going On.

Going to see Three Pieces After Bach tonight -- does he end early?  I only ask because where I parked my car closes at midnight, so wonder whether I need to pull my car out before the concert, or if I can leave it there.  I think I can still get out, so I'll probably just chance it.

Put me in the 'Brad great' camp.  He's right up there with Keith Jarrett, as far as I am concerned.

He only played one encore, because DC audiences, but it was a good'un -- the Beatles' "And I Love Her".  But before his finale he explained that he was playing Bach, then a piece inspired by that piece by Bach, and with some improvisation mixed in.  "...so this next piece will be another 'Bach/Me' pair..."  (titters of laughter from the audience)

I was really hoping for Exit Music, though, that would've been nice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...