The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Seven musicians who each played [at least] seven instruments.  Really quite an impressive project.  Plenty of people seemed to have gone to both nights to hear the full 50 song memoir.  I think it might have been too much for me personally but we were sorry to miss A Cat Named Dionysus (1968).

• Like 1

Magnetic Fields are still on my list of bands I need to see live before I die.  He always puts together a great ensemble and does interesting things with arrangements.  

Me:  I finally saw one of my favourite discoveries from Prog magazine -- The Fierce and the Dead -- in their one American appearance.  So glad I went, they are crazy tight, and phenomenal live.  All four of them (two guitarists, drummer, and lead bassist) are superb musicians on their chosen instrument.  I got to meet all four of them and their label runner, all lovely people.  I've been in heaven all day, just like after the Hiromi show.

18301690_10213313110841771_6527402220847759735_n.jpg?oh=2cb1ac43c3ef043a90abc328f6d83696&oe=59B94CFF

Going to have to forego Slowdive though. :(  's'too bad, as the album is really good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a great weekend!  Friday night, I got to see heather Nova for the first time, have loved her music since ~'93 or '94.  Missed a bunch of opportunites to see her due to other commitments.  The one time I WAS able to see her the outdoor show got cancelled for storm forecasts.....and the weather was pretty damn nice!

So Friday night, she does this intimate small show with her brother, who is a singer channeling Reggae through Folk music, named Mishka.  A wonderful performance, got to speak with Heather & Mishka a bit after the show.  They did some great music, including the last song in their encore being a version of Bowie's Starman.

Then Saturday night, another small show with Mary Fahl, ex of October Project and possessing one of the most incredible and unique voices I've ever heard.  Until I saw her last October, it had been ~22 years since I had last seen her (with October Project, in '94).  Mary's husband Richard was there, he travels with her a lot and is one of the most interesting and warmest people I've ever met.  Before the show started, he came by after recognizing me and we also had a nice chat.

Mary was joined this time by a Cellist, which I thought was perfect accompaniment to her soulful voice.

And while I couldn't take photo's or video during the show, Mary loves to meet and greet afterwards - and I got a warm greeting :)

Two of my favorites artists in one weekend.....!

T-MF.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone who's a fan of the Ænima album really should get to one of the shows this tour. Third Eye live was mind-boggling good. Maynard stepped up and they played The Pot as well, which is a rarity in recent years. 

Waited a long time to see them, absolutely worth it. 

• Like 4

Went to Davies ( probably my last time in a while) and listened to the SF Symphony with Susanna Malkki conduct the Rite of Spring yesterday.

Holy god this woman can strike a dynamic reading and she's a total blast to watch too!

10th row and a tad to the right had my trouser legs flapping and my face 'a grinnin'.

This was just my second time attending what is one of my top 10 orchestra pieces of all time.

I'll never forget it!

If you get a chance to see this gal, don't miss it!

http://susannamalkki.com/

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Watched a shitty band Collective Soul and about to watch what I seem to recall is a shittier band Shinedown.

Couldn't last to a second screaming song after their opening number "Gibberish, Grunt and Scream". I thought it was also odd that the band asked everyone to meet the person next to them and shake their hand like some kind of church shit. Is Shinedown a cult band?

Packed up the rocking chairs and moved to watch Mark Farner (Grand Funk Railroad).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...