The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

2 minutes ago, acidbasement said:

Hey @Aura, pipe dream at this point, but if I come to Chicago on October 6 (it's a Saturday), do you want to check out Ne Obliviscaris and Wintersun with me?

50/50... wife leaves for a work trip the following day and i'm sure we'll have some stuff to take care of. a non-HC friend mentioned this concert a while back and might be interested too. he saw NeO the last time they were here (the show i had to pass on).

• Like 1

I'll keep you posted. Seems pretty unlikely that I'll make it, for a few reasons. But it's a long weekend in Canada, and the train makes transportation easy.

50/50... wife leaves for a work trip the following day and i'm sure we'll have some stuff to take care of. a non-HC friend mentioned this concert a while back and might be interested too. he saw NeO the last time they were here (the show i had to pass on).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Beautiful concert hall Pars!

Here's an article about a brawl at a Mahler performance in Sweden. (Kinda made me feel a little better about my fellow Americans)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sweden-malmo-classical-music-concert-chewing-gum-fight-punch-brawl-a8588761.html?fbclid=IwAR37vNCTjBTG_XsoGhkQ9XN9mGPxJYj-Fkpijr_ZjpQwK6j9nHcWmeNfbp8

Good god! Hehe... he was right!

I remember a number of years ago my wife and I had gone to see the CSO perform Holst - The Planets. We were in the gallery (highest balcony = really good sound). During the 7th movement (Neptune) where the disappearing choir was singing to a fade out (in the entrance or whatever it is called for the upper balcony), two bitches in front of us just wadded their programs up. My wife and I could have fucking killed them!

• 1 month later...

That was definitely the slickest Neko show I've seen. Her man friend / baby daddy / guitar tech Jeff brought out or took away a guitar every song. Big wall of sound emphasizing the vocals and harmonies, with up to five guitars playing at once.  

It was a solid retrospective of her music and she loves the Bay Area so she and the band were ramen-drunk and loosey-goosey in her words. My favorite line was that school night rock is the dirtiest rock in town. She thanked is for being bad with her. It seemed pre-arranged, but they did five songs for an encore. 

Best part of the night, however, was that they banned photography and recording and told people to keep their phones down to respect their neighbors and to enjoy the show in real time. People actually respected it throughout, except the two people in front of me couldn't help themselves in the encore and took some shots. 

I hope @en480c4 is going to see her next month...

• Like 3

Ian, were you at the Case/Lang/Veirs show in Lowell last summer?  That was fantastic.....  Al, they asked the same of the crowd then (as well as on Neko's solo show I saw the year before); indeed it made it a better experience.....

I wasn't. I can't remember if that was right before or after Piper was born, but either way, I blame her!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was actually a couple weeks ago, but Karen and I went to The Simon And Garfunkle Story

A band, fronted by S&G somewhat-look-alikes, plays a bunch of their songs and tells some of their story as well.  All backed by a mix of still photos and videos on a screen behind them.

I would definitely recommend it, with one caveat: the performers we saw (they have multiple across US and the world) were technically incredible.  But they lacked that last emotional grab, that would have made it fantastic.

From the website, not the performance we saw.  But very similar....

TheSimonGarfunkelStory2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've been going through some of my concert ticket stubs because Claire has a spreadsheet of many shows we/she/I have seen and I want to expand it. One of the earliest ones that I still have made me feel good inside and stirred some memories of several very cool concerts at UC Davis while I was an undergrad there.

For example, I saw the Talking Heads on campus on December 5, 1983. Think Big Suit, suburban home set, Speaking In Tongues tour, all just one week before Jonathan Demme filmed the same show in Los Angeles. 

I also saw the infamous Replacements show, such as it was, in the tiny UC Davis Coffee House. They were so drunk they could barely perform a song, and soon after they started they literally fled the stage, ran out of the venue, and never returned. Apparently, somebody told them that the cops were after them and were about to raid the show. Not accurate but fucked over us fans even more than their shitty performance. 

I also saw both of those bands subsequently (with another Replacements screw up of our own doing) but the ticket stub is for the one and only time I saw the late great Stevie Ray Vaughn, with Double Trouble. It was an epic show in Freeborn Hall on campus (now also gone), and it was everything any SRV fan could imagine.

E38C9233-AFA6-4222-A4A2-3D3F6386A088.thumb.jpeg.561e29dafe4c71e5a9d72e6133183f79.jpeg

I found the awesome set list online and the bootleg of the whole show that I will be listening to later. :)

Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

You Done Lost Your Good Thing Now

Honey Bee

Mary Had a Little Lamb

Love Struck Baby

Tin Pan Alley

Cold Shot

Couldn't Stand the Weather

Texas Flood

Lenny

Stang's Swang

Rude Mood

All of that for $10.50! Hard to imagine these days. Claire actually puts the price of the tickets on her spreadsheet, which is fascinating. Anyway, I love thinking back on this stuff, and I'm glad I kept some momentos to remind me. 

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That is awesome, Al!  When I used to be a regular on Facebook, some pals had lists of favorite concerts.  For me in those early to mid-80's days, I was thick in the "New Wave/Alternative" thing.  Some of my favorite shows included The Cramps (great fun party-type band, I must have seen them 5 or 6 times), and The Stranglers (long story, but got to meet the band, take one of them to a local radio station for interview, and spent some time backstage after the show).

But SO many great bands in the day, including some no-name band that opened for Jesus & Mary Chain and BLEW them away....I and perhaps 8-10 others ran to Tower Records after that show to pick up that no-name opener's CD: Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails.

I had saved a few ticket stubs from then, think i did clean up and threw some out but wonder if I still have any left over.....

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An 80's Cover Band (Tainted Love) on the lawn at Rancho Nicasio.

IMG_20190714_164254.thumb.jpg.9dfc51a5dbd21cd5a69f7a8c7bbca754.jpg

Joanne and I got to exercise our musical knowledge / relive our youths by engaging in "name that tune" to see if we could identify the song from the intro, before the vocals came in. Did pretty well apart from some American ones that weren't hits in the UK. Interesting what lodges in you brain from 30-40 years ago (!!!) to surface with the right stimulus.

Edited by Grahame
  • Like 1