The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Cowboy Junkies last night, at a nice theater near the town in which I grew up.  In all the years I liked them (and used to lust and love after Margo Timmins in their early days), had never seen them before and it was a great experience.  And while they (we all) have aged....they were still so beautiful and so cool.

The only negative was some folks in front of me, a bit down the row, that were talking loudly and one was on her phone a lot.  I actually took a moment to chew them out quietly but ultra-firmly, getting a pat on the back from the guy immediately behind them.

Cowboy Junkies Live.jpg

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to see Damien Escobar Wednesday night with my oldest daughter.  Had not heard him before so that was interesting.  For me the best part was the crowd.  They were definitely his people and it was quite entertaining listening to their response.

I had you tubed (is that a verb?) him and was surprised that he played the violin much less than the videos showed, perhaps half of each piece.  He really connected with the audience in a very personal way.  Of course, passing out roses to the audience didn't hurt.  Near the end he came out into the audience.  A 7 yr old boy who took up the violin asked if he could play.  Damien let him play.  The kid was pretty good!

Great night out with Kristel but I don't think I'll be buying his music.

Not having great luck going to concerts.  Brit Floyd was postponed and I couldn't make the later date.  Willie Nelson/Allison Krauss was cancelled.  Having sticker shock for some of the performances (eg. Elton John, etc).  Hope I catch a few more with no cancellations.

79618352_985648061814898_7024732656889757696_o.jpg

Edited by Aimless1
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

National Independent Venue Association is having a YT festival/benefit this weekend 10/16-18 2020.

Even if you aren't interested in the particular acts, I believe it's a worthy cause and in our better interests to support our local performing arts venues with at least an email to your reps in congress.

Even better if you can afford a dollar or two!

We probably can't save them all but ,..

https://www.saveourstages.com/?utm_medium=email&_hsmi=97453179&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_yXsbhsi7I4rovyk9UtBHtIcJFZM77J96X9g7lSUSxu7oTgUFaGvdvlg_Ijb8riBPdqH-sPaB3cMa7V3ciiw1jaaACmA&utm_content=97453179&utm_source=hs_email#donate-now

• 3 months later...

Never mind about the pandemic, Brexit foot shooting side effects ...

Ex-Marillion singer Fish lays into government over EU Brexit touring fiasco: “I genuinely despair at the dreams that are being broken”

https://www.nme.com/news/music/marillions-fish-lays-into-government-over-eu-brexit-touring-fiasco-i-genuinely-despair-at-the-dreams-that-are-being-broken-2863389

Fish reveals how Brexit has destroyed UK Artists' ability to tour

https://www.music-news.com/news/Underground/137723/Fish-reveals-how-Brexit-has-destroyed-UK-Artists-ability-to-tour

It's not quite how Roger Daltry thought it would go ...

https://www.nme.com/news/music/people-are-calling-out-the-whos-roger-daltrey-for-his-previous-brexit-comments-2860916

• 2 months later...

I'm still not considering attending a large scale event, even outside, but the real reason this announcement trips me out is how few of the acts I have even heard of. I am at least familiar with 4 of the 11 headliners, and a smaller percentage of the rest. Jeez. Am I that out of it or is this just a second tier line-up? Or both?60544CD6-4BF5-4542-B0A1-B2F1046A9C4A.thumb.jpeg.2a782b446a3e00f7f42bacae042b9f14.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a night at the opera last night... only instead of at the opera house it was a drive-up stage at the Marin Civic Center. They did Barber of Seville.

It feels great to getting on the road back to live theater/music/opera.

IMG_0672.thumb.jpeg.bb045c2a85a87efa59339cbd53b0b52c.jpegIMG_0680.thumb.jpeg.93a2d6dac9cc81145bf2caccd7def360.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/5/2018 at 2:04 PM, acidbasement said:

We had decided not to go on 70,000 Tons of Metal in 2019.

Booking started this morning.

Oops, we're doing it again.

Hey, did you ever see Voivod?  I have come to the realization in the last couple years that I love Voivod inordinately much (more than Opeth, more than Gojira, more than Within Temptation, more than Epica,...not sure if more than Katatonia, though), and I just found out they were at 70,000 Tons of Metal in 2018, did you go that year and did you catch them?  Just curious.

16 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Hey, did you ever see Voivod?  I have come to the realization in the last couple years that I love Voivod inordinately much (more than Opeth, more than Gojira, more than Within Temptation, more than Epica,...not sure if more than Katatonia, though), and I just found out they were at 70,000 Tons of Metal in 2018, did you go that year and did you catch them?  Just curious.

Neat! I've heard of them of course, but they've never been on my radar. I didn't catch them on 70K.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...