Thaddy

The Live Music Thread

Saw Covet last night, they were awesome.  Hot and sweaty sold out crowd, not so much, but I finally got to see Yvette Young live (and I even got to say, "hi", although not much more), and hearing this organic music live is so different from watching YouTube videos.  Openers Holy Fawn (video below, sort of Sigur Ros, with the occasional Cradle of Filth "witchy poo" metal scream) and Vasudeva (whimsical math rock) were the perfect openers.

I have a couple minutes of footage of sweaty backs while Covet is playing on my phone, so here's this instead:

• Like 1

Thanks Steve - yeah the Washington set was great - just rode on a wave of notes the entire time. 

The Herbie set was masterful - Band: Herbie Hancock, Vinnie Colaiuta, James Genus, Lionel Loueke, Terrace Martin.

Experimental - Musical - Engaging 

(first time seeing him - fan since I found his music in the 80s)

• Like 3

Ringo's Allstar Band at Bald Hill in Long Island...

A172CC42-8188-4AD5-9AB1-777BABF3DE16.thumb.jpeg.30b356e35253aa70cae7d8d233419ead.jpeg

Enjoying myself :) 

• Like 3

Those are a couple of shows I'd like to catch.

Mikey, did Terrace play mostly sax or some combination with keys and percussion and stuff? He's super talented and interesting. Lionel is a straight up genius. Herbie is beyond. 

• Like 1

\m/ tonight... deaf kids, bell witch, and neurosis. mostly here for bell witch but neurosis ain't exactly chopped liver. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Voltron said:

Those are a couple of shows I'd like to catch.

Mikey, did Terrace play mostly sax or some combination with keys and percussion and stuff? He's super talented and interesting. Lionel is a straight up genius. Herbie is beyond. 

Yeah - thought of you while we were there of course. Terrace was split with sax (including an extended 7+minute solo in the 25 minute first song) and keys most of the time, he was a little out of view so there could have been additional actions taken. And Lionel - we could not figure out what the hell was going on, was that voice, guitar, synth, choir, other, all. Crazy. 

and 79yo herbie with the guitar keyboard jumping around on stage? more than either of us ever expected. 

Oh man, I wish I would have known about the Herbie/Kamasi show. Just recently introduced to KW but as a sax player, I definitely enjoy hearing people who are near the top of the game.

• Like 1

I guess I didn't post it in this thread, but Herbie and Kamasi (and Branford Marsalis and Joshua Redman) filled in four nights for Wayne Shorter who was ill and couldn't perform at SFJAZZ in January. It was a hell of a lineup and I was especially impressed that a young dude like Terrace hung in there with this super group. 

Herbie Hancock piano & keyboards
Terence Blanchard trumpet
Terrace Martin alto saxophone & keyboards
Danilo Pérez piano
John Patitucci bass
Brian Blade drums

Kamasi was on a different night with everyone but Terence, but I was out of town for the rest of the shows. 

• Like 2

Wow!

That must've been amazing.

I saw an interview with Washington and IIRC, he was saying that Shorter's band was as tight and in tune with each other as human beings were capable of.

• Like 1

Kamasi is correct. They have been playing together since 2000 and I have seen them a few times since at least 2008. Brian Blade instantly became one of my favorite drummers the first time I saw them. 

Steve, Wayne Shorter was at the SFJAZZ dinner we went to years ago. Mikey was there too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voltron said:

Steve, Wayne Shorter was at the SFJAZZ dinner we went to years ago. Mikey was there too. 

Pretty sure that was Blessing that drove.

Either way, that is one awesome band!