Jump to content

The Live Music Thread


Thaddy
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Saw Jimmy Vivino and Ronnie Earl last week.  Really nice Blues, all different types.  We went because of Ronnie Earl, and the fact that Jimmy had grown up and went to school in the same hometown as my wife (Glen Rock, NJ); I wasn't familiar with him otherwise.  Turned out to be a HELL of a show!

Ronnie has a bunch of health issues, so it was great to see him live.  And Jimmy was right up there in energy, voice, and spirit.  he also had a boatload of great stories from clubs across the states and musicians from the 60's on....

 

IMG_3249.JPG

IMG_3251.JPG

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of live music, what are people using as ear plugs these days? I've tried one of the audio-focused brands and some walgreens/rite-aid foam specials, but I don't love what either does to the sound beyond lowering the decibels.

Are custom earplugs made from molds worth it? Is there a better off-the-shelf solution I'm missing?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, mikeymad said:

Mine are so old school they were called ER20's ( with the stems, unlike the new fangled stemless ER20XS's )

You know, from the before times, when I might consider remaining in a crowded enclosed venue, for an extended period, while being encouraged to engage in strenuous breathing by chants of "make some noise" , or "I can't hear you", fun.

Or maybe thats just me.

I notice on https://www.etymotic.com/hearing-protection/ that the non Brents can now avail themselves of not just the plebian 

PRO's  https://www.etymotic.com/product/music-pro/

but the 1%'er (upcoming?) PRO ELITE's https://www.etymotic.com/product/music-pro-elite/

Have they left room in the marketing space for the Apple compatible MAX PRO ULTRA ELITE's ? ( or some non copyright infringing combination / ordering of those superlatives)

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Grahame said:

Mine are so old school they were called ER20's ( with the stems, unlike the new fangled stemless ER20XS's )

You know, from the before times, when I might consider remaining in a crowded enclosed venue, for an extended period, while being encouraged to engage in strenuous breathing by chants of "make some noise" , or "I can't hear you", fun.

Or maybe thats just me.

I notice on https://www.etymotic.com/hearing-protection/ that the non Brents can now avail themselves of not just the plebian 

PRO's  https://www.etymotic.com/product/music-pro/

but the 1%'er (upcoming?) PRO ELITE's https://www.etymotic.com/product/music-pro-elite/

Have they left room in the marketing space for the Apple compatible MAX PRO ULTRA ELITE's ? ( or some non copyright infringing combination / ordering of those superlatives)

So I'm considering joining a community band again since I have a stable schedule so I was thinking JH Customs with various filters, but this may be a more expensive and more complicated option. I'm intrigued.

Edit: Heh. I contacted Ety to ask a question or two. I now have a discount set up. Anyone up for a group buy on some Music/Pro and/or GunSport/Elite?

Edited by MexicanDragon
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, MexicanDragon said:

So I'm considering joining a community band again since I have a stable schedule so I was thinking JH Customs with various filters, but this may be a more expensive and more complicated option. I'm intrigued.

Edit: Heh. I contacted Ety to ask a question or two. I now have a discount set up. Anyone up for a group buy on some Music/Pro and/or GunSport/Elite?

Maybe in. The actives cost a ton more than the passives but might be worth it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got to see my favorite, Mark Burgess of the Chameleons, at a special tour he's doing.  He does acoustic, and he has a guitarist doing the echo-y/reverb-y stuff for which the band is well known.  REALLY interesting concept, and last night's venue was a little "Coffee Haus" above a Firehouse museum type place.  All in Millis, MA, pretty much nowhere.

The room was very nice and quite intimate.  Took my son, we both loved it, and got to chat with Mark before and after.  Lots of good chat about the songs and his history, stuff we had never heard before.  

Quite a great night.  And I'm going to see him again Thursday night at another place.

 

MB-1.jpg

MB-3.jpg

MB-4.jpg

MB-5.jpg

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, TMoney said:

Speaking of live music, what are people using as ear plugs these days?

I, too, have the Ety's, only they were rebranded as something else, but I swear by 'em.  Hold on, let me look...

LOLOLOL  I accidentally searched in "Prime Video" and got this:

image.png.2ed155031b127c251cbc0778d762fe25.png
Kek, as the kids would say.

I'm pretty sure I have the Hearos -- basically, rebranded Etymotics:

Hearos High Fidelity Ear Plugs
Swear by 'em.  Forgot 'em enough times that I went by the CVS near the ((no longer) new) 9:30 club, I've tried most of the foam ones, and they all change the sound profile (boomy).  These are the closest thing to transparent I've found.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.