On Bacon

The Monkey

My High School GF's family kept a strict kosher kitchen. She generally kept kosher outside her home, too, but wasn't as strict as her parents. If she were to do anything to disrupt the family's kosher home kitchen, then she would destroy her entire family's kitchen. If she had a cheeseburger while out (she didn't, but used this example to explain the situation), she wouldn't be kosher for herself, but at least she didn't then screw up her whole family.

I don't think it's all that uncommon, I seem to remember the conversation came up a few times in my childhood/teenhood. Not saying I agree with it, just that it didn't seem so uncommon.

http://www.thejc.com/judaism/rabbi-i-have-a-problem/36263/is-it-hypocritical-keep-kosher-home-eat-non-kosher-out

Oh, and I suppose that dating me wasn't all that kosher, either.

Reporting back on the Father's bacon. I ordered the hickory smoked and the smoke aroma is very strong but not overpowering when eating it. It has a wonderful smoky flavour. It is however way too salty for both of us. When eating it alone with eggs the salt was overpowering. However, in a bacon sarnie, the salt is offset by the HP sauce and it was quite enjoyable. We plan to soak the bacon prior to frying the next time we want to eat it solo to remove some of the excess salt.

Overall, good bacon, just be prepared for the salt if that is not your thing.

Picked up one of these Sunday, tried it last night, not bad at all.....nothing is overdone (chocolate, bacon, or salt). Chocolate quality is pretty good, and the bacon taste is subtle but good as well.

71uRJyb9YIL._AA1500_.jpg

I've had that! Good stuff! Made by a local Chicago chocolatier. Nice to see she's getting some national growth!