iMod Question

The Monkey

I won an iMod from Vinnie at the NYC Meet. Well, not exactly won. I bought it for $100. I currently have a 5.5G iPod, but the LCD screen is starting to flake (I bought it refurbed from Apple) and Vinnie informed me that I would need to get an ALO LOD, which I think is $85 to use the iMod. I'm not a huge fan of that arrangement. Would it be wiser to find a cheap 4G and get that done?

I have the 5 or 5.5 or whatever takes the ALO dock with the teensy Blackgates in it, and I like it because the headphone jack still functions as a headphone jack and I have had no problems with the LOD. And, it sounds great with JH13s! ;)

But, if the screen is flaky, and a 4G is much cheaper, then maybe I would go for that option.

I owned the 5.5g video which had the Imod. It was better for me because many times I ended up using just the headphone out for listening with my UE11s. Carrying around a portable amp with cable just wasn't convenient all the time. With the 4g imod'ed however you do have to consider that it can never be used as a standalone unit. But at that point I guess you can just pick up your 5.5g.:D

"Everyone" has joined the JH13 ranks, as i've departed from my journey with custom iems.(UE11/ES3X) Its interesting, but i'm glad most are enjoying their experience with these marvelous little inventions.

stevenkelby and barqy on head-fi both made me an iMod LOD with the little blackgates in them, so you don't have to buy a super expensive one from ALO.

I agree that the 5.5G is nicer because you can still use the headphone out which is decent with JH13pro, ES3X and UE11Pro. And, with the 5.5G iMod you can build your own desktop dock with Vcaps or auricaps and get even better sound than the blackgates that can color the sound a little. While with the 4G the blackgates are inside and you can't get around those - as you probably know, in the 4G iMod the DAC is wired to the caps and then headphone out as a line out.

I suppose your iPod is out of warrantee and you don't want to buy a screen from eBay to install? Or, what if it is just a loose connector? Also, when you send it in for the mod it might make sense to get a new battery and have it installed while the iPod is open.

How does the iMod compare to an iPhone in sound? I thought my 6G iPod had a bit of an unpleasant upper-mids/lower treble boost (IIRC) but my iPhone sounds quite good. My 5th gen sounds muddy in comparison. At various times I considered both upgrading the 5th gen with a bigger HD and getting it iModded, but since I rarely listen to music outside and my experience with portable amps lead me to decide they were a waste of time, I gave up the idea.

I won an iMod from Vinnie at the NYC Meet. Well, not exactly won. I bought it for $100. I currently have a 5.5G iPod, but the LCD screen is starting to flake (I bought it refurbed from Apple) and Vinnie informed me that I would need to get an ALO LOD, which I think is $85 to use the iMod. I'm not a huge fan of that arrangement. Would it be wiser to find a cheap 4G and get that done?

And how much for a LCD replacement performed by Vinnie?

Amicalement

I had a 4G iMod for some time and couldn't really hear a difference between the iMod and a standard iPod with a LOD, so I ended up selling it. The 5G seems more convenient though, as you're not forced to use an amp, but before repairing it and investing money into it, I'd try to borrow an iMod setup and see if it's worth it for you... unless you've already done that.

I already bought the service (as a donation to the NYC meet), so the only other option would be to sell the donated service to someone else, but I figured I would like to try it out anyway. Vinnie will replace the battery for free (I supply the battery) and will fix the screen for $50. Probably worth it just to have him do it. I just hate the idea of being required to buy that ALO LOD.

EDIT: Vinnie seems like a good guy, btw.

I already bought the service (as a donation to the NYC meet), so the only other option would be to sell the donated service to someone else, but I figured I would like to try it out anyway. Vinnie will replace the battery for free (I supply the battery) and will fix the screen for $50. Probably worth it just to have him do it. I just hate the idea of being required to buy that ALO LOD.

EDIT: Vinnie seems like a good guy, btw.

$50 for a LCD change? Wow...

I can fix it for you for $10 (= cost of screen)